Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"iTunes has detected an iPod that appears to be corrupted"

I have a new iPod....I had a Gen 1, but was receiving the following message:
"iTunes has detected an iPod that appears to be corrupted. You may need to restore this iPod before it can be used with iTunes. You may also try disconnecting and reconnecting the iPod." I was unable to get this fixed, so I bought a new Gen3 shuffle. Got same message. Now I am trying with a Gen2, and getting the same message. I have restored, disconnected/reconnected, downloaded new iTunes, etc.....nothing seems to work. Something like this happens every time I "upgrade" iTunes.....Any suggestions on how to get this fixed? I am desperate!!!

pc, Windows XP

Posted on Jun 29, 2009 7:49 AM

5 replies

Sep 22, 2009 11:12 AM in response to lejones

For what it's worth, I'm seeing the same problem with my 2G Shuffle on Snow Leopard and iTunes 9.0 100% of the time when waking from sleep. In fact, I get two Shuffles listed in iTunes, the one that was connected before sleep, and the "corrupt" one that is located upon waking. I can eject the corrupt one.

That's not the only Shuffle problem I've had but it's enough (for long enough) that I will never buy a Shuffle again. The iPod Touch and iPhone have a fraction of the issues of the Shuffle and they're vastly more complex devices.

Sep 22, 2009 12:47 PM in response to Tom Sheppard

Tom Sheppard wrote:
This is not a reasonable requirement and was not required prior to Snow Leopard and/or iTunes 9.0. So it is a bug that has been introduced.
Tom Sheppard wrote:
This is not a reasonable requirement and was not required prior to Snow Leopard and/or iTunes 9.0. So it is a bug that has been introduced.

Really? Pray tell WHY the manual for 2nd Gen Shuffle on page 6 says:
To charge the battery using your computer:
m
Connect iPod shuffle to a high-power USB port on your computer using the included
iPod shuffle Dock. *The computer must be turned on and not in sleep mode* (some
models of Macintosh can charge iPod shuffle while in sleep mode).

Page 8 of the 3rd Gen shuffle manual says:

To charge the battery using your computer:
m
Connect iPod shuffle to a high-power USB 2.0 port on your computer using the
included USB cable. The computer must be turned on and not in sleep mode.

Sep 22, 2009 1:54 PM in response to 0Ari0

The issue is NOT about charging the Shuffle, it's about it being detected as corrupted when it clearly is not. Undocking and docking the Shuffle resolves the problem, thus it is NOT a Shuffle corruption problem. It is likely a race condition with iTunes trying to communicate with the Shuffle before other parts of the system have properly detected it.

My iPod Shuffle is connected to a powered USB hub, not directly to the computer. The iPod charges fine, it's only when the computer wakes from sleep that the corrupted message occurs. Let me reiterate that this is a NEW problem with either Snow Leopard and/or iTunes 9.0. It occurs 100% of the time now whereas before the Shuffle would just appear in iTunes as connected without any warning messages.

"iTunes has detected an iPod that appears to be corrupted"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.