Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange issue with reconnect media windows

I'm using FCP 5.1.4, and I'm trying to reconnect media from an imported XML file that was created in FCP 6. There are 2 problems:

1) The media clips' names in the project differ from there matching files on the drives, so FCP doesn't find them. Is there anyway to re-link these files?

2) If I click 'locate' or 'search', then switch to any other program, even the Finder, when I switch back to FCP the windows are frozen... the search window doesn't respond at all... all I can do is click 'Skip file' in the reconnect window. I have to then force quit and lose all the files I've already located. Anyone had this problem... seems really strange?

MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.5.5), FCP 5.1.4

Posted on Jun 30, 2009 12:06 AM

7 replies

Jun 30, 2009 6:27 AM in response to runswithtwohorses

1. sounds like the clip names were changed in FCP after they were imported. In the original project, select the clips in question and rename Clip to Match File. Re-export the XML.

2. step 1 might fix this problem too, but it also might be you have some larger issues with your machine or the mounted volumes. Disconnect any external HD's your not actively using, and restrict the search area to just the volume where your media is located.

Jul 1, 2009 8:17 AM in response to avideditor

Tried renaming the files. Didn't have to recopy any files because I'm using the same drives for the project on both systems. The imported XML still gives a problem though. More files are re-connected now, but many are still offline, and it doesn't prompt me to reconnect them. When I try reconnect, I get non-matching errors for a lot of the clips. So it doesn't look like there's going to be a way for me to edit this project on my system.

Jul 1, 2009 8:21 AM in response to avideditor

Tried renaming the files. Didn't have to recopy any files because I'm using the same drives for the project on both systems. The imported XML still gives a problem though. More files are re-connected now, but many are still offline, and it doesn't prompt me to reconnect them. When I try reconnect, I get non-matching errors for a lot of the clips. So it doesn't look like there's going to be a way for me to edit this project on my system.

Jul 1, 2009 8:23 AM in response to runswithtwohorses

It could be there is issues with XML information between the FCP versions, you could try an EDL instead if your clips are based on tape and timecode information.

Are you using subclips in your edit? If so do a "Remove Subclip Limits" on the timeline clips and re-export the XML.

Was this tapeless media? If so and you truncated the clips in the Log and Transfer tool, this might explain the non-matching errors.

I guess updating the other computer to v.6 is out of the questions. Try the EDL or Remove Subclip Limits, see if that helps.

Strange issue with reconnect media windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.