Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Applecare, buy from another country?

Hi, today I bought a used (1 month old) 2.4GHz model macbook aluminum.

It is sweet and I got it for a great price!

I want to get the extended applecare as I have heard great things about it.

in Japan (amazon.jp) it costs ¥31,500 (over $300), but in the US it costs $250(currently reduced to $186).

If I buy the US one will they let me use it for my Japanese bought MacBook? I could find nothing saying no. Maybe I should call them. Anyone know anything about this?

iMac 20" Core2Duo 2.16GHz 3GB 1TB, Mac OS X (10.5), 1TB external backup drive, iPhone 3G

Posted on Jun 30, 2009 2:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2009 5:56 AM

carl wolf wrote:
Where do you intend to use your MB: the US or Japan? The AppleCare protection will only cover the country in which it is purchased. It does not in which country you bought the computer.

that's not an accurate statement. Apple states that you are bound to the terms of the agreement from which you purchased the applecare coverage. So, if you were to buy from the USA, then you would be bound to the USA terms & conditions, even those can vary from individual States. Apple recommends you buy the machine & applecare from the same country...

BUT the machine IS repairable by an authorized service center, agent, or company anywhere in the world!

http://www.apple.com/support/products/faqs.html

http://www.apple.com/legal/applecare/appgeos.html
12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2009 5:56 AM in response to carl wolf

carl wolf wrote:
Where do you intend to use your MB: the US or Japan? The AppleCare protection will only cover the country in which it is purchased. It does not in which country you bought the computer.

that's not an accurate statement. Apple states that you are bound to the terms of the agreement from which you purchased the applecare coverage. So, if you were to buy from the USA, then you would be bound to the USA terms & conditions, even those can vary from individual States. Apple recommends you buy the machine & applecare from the same country...

BUT the machine IS repairable by an authorized service center, agent, or company anywhere in the world!

http://www.apple.com/support/products/faqs.html

http://www.apple.com/legal/applecare/appgeos.html

Jul 2, 2009 6:46 AM in response to carl wolf

carl wolf wrote:
kmac1036,
You should reread my posting again. My post states EXACTLY the same info as yours.

here's yours: +Where do you intend to use your MB: the US or Japan? The *AppleCare protection will only cover the country in which it is purchased.* It does not in which country you bought the computer.+

no, you didn't say the same thing as me... you said apple care covers the country, which isn't true. Apple care covers the Mac & when your buy a plan, you are bound to the terms of the agreement which are set for that country. Apple recommends that you buy them both in the same country, but does not specifically forbid you from enrolling a machine from one place, applecare from another.

Jul 2, 2009 5:47 PM in response to carl wolf

So why does the Applecare page on the Apple site say this?

"Comprehensive service and support

* Extends telephone technical support from 90 days to three years from computer’s purchase date
* Extends hardware repair coverage to three years from computer's purchase date, including:
o Onsite service for desktop computers1
*o *Global repair coverage**
* Provides dedicated access to web-based support resources3
* Includes powerful diagnostic tools (TechTool Deluxe from Micromat)"

I was asking, can I buy in the Applecare in the US and for my Japanese macbook? (And yes, I live in Japan, It's about half the price on amazon, so I want to do it as you probably would if you were living here)
That's all. Apple says it provides global coverage with any authorised service center.

Jul 8, 2009 6:36 AM in response to carl wolf

carl wolf wrote:
Once again, you are incorrect:
1. AppleCare is only good for the country in which it is purchased
2. It is only good for the unit for which it was purchased

And, that's exactly what I posted originally.

That's bull. Applecare is accepted world wide. Apple recommends that you buy the machine & applecare together in the same country, but repairs, service, & support can be had world wide.

Jul 8, 2009 9:50 PM in response to carl wolf

Carl, I suggest that you learn how to read. The FAQ very clearly states that any Mac covered can be repaired anywhere in the world regardless of where Applecare or the machine was purchased.

This is not even a difficult article to comprehend, and I fail to understand how anyone can misread or misinterpret it.

You are NOT saying the same thing as KMac, and you are wrong. Please stop posting misinformation.

Jul 9, 2009 12:16 AM in response to carl wolf

carl wolf wrote:
You are wrong. I suggest that you actually read the Applecare contract, before you post again.

I actually called Apple and directly asked them this question, I even double checked by calling again and speaking to a different person as I was worried I spoke to someone who happened to not know and made a mistake. They specifically said, Yes, I could buy the Applecare from Amazon USA, and use it for my MacBook that I bought and use in Japan.

Sorry Carl, if you don't beleive me, just call them and see.

Applecare, buy from another country?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.