Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Filetransfer don't work

Hi Forum,

I have a problem transfering files via iChat AV 3.0.1 (v392) but only with users who are still using Mac OS X Panther. I'm not able to send them files but I can receive files.
Filetranfer with other Tiger users work fine! I can send and receive.

I'm running Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.2 on a G5 dual 1.8

Would be great if someone could help – Thanks!

Posted on Oct 13, 2005 4:33 AM

13 replies

Oct 13, 2005 9:38 AM in response to Katja Pomsel (D)

Hello Katja,

Welcome to Apple Discussions.

I have the same problem. I have tried MUCH testing and everything I can imagine, including Help for iChat AV 3 Problems.

I can direct file transfer to a few, but not most, Panther users. I do not why this is. As with you, it works fine with all Tiger users.

Try every method available. Here are a couple of links that list a number of choices:
msg # 3.1 and later at Can't Direct Connect With AIM
msg # 2 and later at can't send photos or files

Workarounds if all fail:
-email

-dot Mac account (perhaps the Public Folder)

-System Preferences > Sharing > Services >Personal Web Sharing

-ftp your file to a web site where your friend can download

-open the file and point your webcam at your monitor

-print the file and hold document in front of your webcam

-Panther on a second drive or partition for use when you must transfer

-etc.
EZ Jim

Oct 13, 2005 12:56 PM in response to EZ Jim

We've tried those suggestions and just about every other that has come across this discussion board in the last month. I forgot to mention that when his computer is on my network it works fine. The funny thing is that we had no problems until about a month or two ago, but his ISP claims they have not blocked anything. So we are hoping a future update will help us out.

Oct 13, 2005 1:25 PM in response to cgist

OK, Chad,

If you have tried all those suggestions, you may want to update your system info.

You are still showing Mac OS X (10.4). The very FIRST suggestion there is that you update to 10.4.2 using the Combo Updater.

I am dubious that you need a future update to correct your problem when it is working for the rest of us with 10.4.2. However, I am a pragmatist, so, whatever works is a good thing.

If you have not already tried this, too, because you had iChat AV working previously, I suggest you consider any untried suggestions that apply to your system(s) from the How Can I get iChat working again? FAQ.

If you have tried all of them, too, or if they do not help, the LAST suggestion from Help for iChat AV 3 Problems was that you post as much as possible of the information requested in the the When do I Post a New iChat Topic ? FAQ.

By my count, the list requests 20 items of information. (You may even find the problem in the process of gathering that info.) Additional info relevant to your problem may allow us to offer some more specific suggestions.

EZ Jim

Oct 14, 2005 2:52 AM in response to Katja Pomsel (D)

Hello,

thanks for the welcome EZ Jim 🙂 and yes Ralph I've opened port 5190 for UDP and TCP in my firewall settings. I've even tried it without the sytem integrated OS X firewall but I still have this problem. I guess i don't have to make any changes to my Airport Extreme Base, do I?!

I have this problem only with 2 of my buddies, funnily enough they're both Canadians… but back to topic, could it be that something in their firewall seetings could case the problem? They said there weren't any changes done.

Ah yes, and if I look at my Activity Monitor I always get the message that the iChatAgent doesn't answer…
I've made a screenshot of this:
http://www.business-itself.de/images/ichat.png

Oct 14, 2005 7:38 AM in response to Katja Pomsel (D)

You're welcome, Katja

Do not be concerned about your iChat Agent error message.
... if I look at my Activity Monitor I always get the message that the iChatAgent doesn't answer?
Not a problem. See Apple Tech Article 301668
Mac OS X 10.4: "iChatAgent Not Responding" message in Activity Monitor

Ralph is here. I defer to his answers on the firewall settings and your AEBS.

Jim

Filetransfer don't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.