9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 1, 2009 10:23 PM by carvermon
VodkaPundit Level 1 Level 1
expertise.wireless
Wireless
Is there any way to roll back my Apple TV to the previous firmware?

The 2.4 software has cluttered up the screen with useless information. It has, for no discernible reason, reversed the scroll direction. It has absolutely ruined how the Apple Remote works (I still can't figure out how to make the **** thing chapter-skip.)

In short, 2.4 *****.

How do I roll it back?

Mac Pro (Nehalem), Mac OS X (10.5.7)
  • Josef Kowalewski Level 4 Level 4
    Hi,
    You can do a factory restore, but this will take you back to the version that your ATV shipped with.
    I don't think there is a way of legitimately getting back to 2.3. without hacking, which we're not allowed to discuss here.

As for the remote, see this - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3176

Regards
  • VodkaPundit Level 1 Level 1
    expertise.wireless
    Wireless
    Josef --

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, you said exactly what I was afraid someone would tell me.

So, as much as I think 2.4 *****, it seems I'm stuck with it. In other words, unless Apple addresses my problems, I won't be buying another Apple TV.
  • crhendo1 Level 1 Level 1
    Strange as it may seem, I am now quite accustomed to the new layout (the scrolling should always have been this way!) and after a bit of playing have finally worked out how to do most things. To move forward and backwards through chapters, press "-" (bottom of the wheel) once then press either >>- or <<- to advance or move back through chapters.

Having played with many other alternatives (including the very average Media Center) I have to say that I am very happy with my ATV. It took me a while to source all the utilities I needed to convert any sound of video source at ATV format but since then it has been a breeze. More importantly, everybody in my home can use it with little or no training. Try that with any other product!
  • VodkaPundit Level 1 Level 1
    expertise.wireless
    Wireless
    Everybody in my family could use it before without instructions, including my three-year-old. Now for the first time I'm having to cry for help on this forum just to figure out how to chapter-skip.

By definition, that's not intuitive.

And the new interface is so cluttered and busy, every time I look at it I think, "Dude, you got a Dell!"

Yes, it's that bad.
  • bucksaddle Level 1 Level 1
    {quote:title=VodkaPundit wrote:} Now for the first time I'm having to cry for help on this forum just to figure out how to chapter-skip.

By definition, that's not intuitive.{quote}

Or read the release notes?
    VodkaPundit...you're welcome.
  • carvermon Level 1 Level 1
    I've never once found detailed release notes for ANY apple upgrade - please tell me where to find them! Of course we shouldn't have to go searching. An accompanying info file with the upgrades would be reasonable.
    Of course I agree that the release notes should be in some sort of file on the ATV, but in the mean time you can find them here:-

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3187
  • carvermon Level 1 Level 1
    So they do exist! Thanks for the tip!