Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

[iPhone] What does mean "Inactive status"?

Hi all,

I'm trying to understand the "inactive status" (the one in which the application is inserted when the device is locked, or when there is an incoming call).

The API documentation, describing the applicationWillResignActive: method of UIApplicationDelegate, says:

"When an application is inactive, it is executing but is not dispatching incoming events."

But what this concretely means? What I can do and what I can't?

For example, I have done some tests with the CoreLocation API. I found that the method locationManager:didUpdateToLocation:fromLocation: of the CLLocationManagerDelegate is still called. Ok, really good. But... but I think it is called less often. Much less often. Surprising, right?

Thank you very much for your help.

Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jul 2, 2009 5:05 AM

2 replies

Jul 2, 2009 11:02 AM in response to Vincent123

"When an application is inactive, it is executing but is not dispatching incoming events."

This happens, for example, when an overlay window pops up or when the device is locked or perhaps during an incoming call/msg.

As to how to respond...this is (basically) up to the application. While doing nada is always a choice, the recommended/default/typical behavior is that you cease or slow any non-critical functionality. As an example, if your app were a game you would stop updating the display and/or pause the game.

Jul 3, 2009 2:52 AM in response to K T

I'm not sure that it is only up to the application.

Why, for example, the method locationManager:didUpdateToLocation:fromLocation: of the CLLocationManagerDelegate is called less often? I discovered this only doing practical tests, because the documentation says nothing about it...

The documentation says only that "when an application is inactive, it is executing but is not dispatching incoming events". There are informations more precise?

[iPhone] What does mean "Inactive status"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.