Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Comcast/mac mail ports

If I leave "Mail" open after a while I get a big note saying need to enter password.I ignore it but its a pain. What port should I be using . Its set at either or not on custom. Should it be custom 587. Should SSL be used? Went to comcasts site but not much help. In Bethel CT Using 10.5.7

933 MHZ, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Jul 2, 2009 5:05 AM

4 replies

Jul 2, 2009 7:07 AM in response to stanbudbea67

MDJ51 wrote:
If I leave "Mail" open after a while I get a big note saying need to enter password.

I see this somewhat. It seems to be caused by a mail server responding too slowly so that Mail times out.

What port should I be using . Its set at either or not on custom. Should it be custom 587. Should SSL be used?

I'm not sure what you mean by "Its set at either or not on custom." Keep in mind that you're dealing with two types of mail servers, POP3 or IMAP for incoming e-mail and SMTP for outgoing e-mail. Each one needs to be configured separately.

Went to comcasts site but not much help.

Even though you haven't been able to learn much from Comcast, they have the final word on what server settings you should use. I did find one reference to using port 587 for Comcast.

Jul 2, 2009 7:19 PM in response to stanbudbea67

MDJ51 wrote:
Under mac mail preferences and accts then under outgoing mail server>edit server list> advanced>it then says use default ports (25,465,587) then under that it says use custom port? Thats what I'm wondering about. Default is checked for now

I wouldn't "use custom port" unless your e-mail provider tells you to, if for no other reason than the e-mail provider would have to tell what "custom port" to use.

Jul 2, 2009 7:49 PM in response to stanbudbea67

I would highly recommend the use of Custom Port, if for example you know one of those in the default list should be the choice, such as 587. The default list is an option that was added to Mail with 10.5.5, and Mail 3.5, to help those who may move from venue to venue with a portable. Always better to choose one in Custom Port if remaining at one venue, and the preferred port is known. This prevents some temporary burp in the connection causing Mail to switch, and then the switch being problematic.

Ernie

Comcast/mac mail ports

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.