Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No indication of No Service - 5 bars but unable to complete calls on 3G

Has anyone run into a situation where it appears that the network is working but it's really not?

iPhone 3GS was working fine, both voice and data. Traveled home (5 miles, different cell tower) and it showed a signal strength of 5 bars,which is typical. An hour later "Call Failed" immediately appeared when attempting to place a call. Tried 5 different numbers, all with the same result. Signal strength was at 5 bars. Disabled 3G service and could then place calls. Enabled 3G service and then the "No Service" status was displayed. Later discovered that others had tried to call (during the time when it had 5 bars) and their calls went straight to voice mail.

I turned the phone off and back on, same result. Problem continued all evening. I disabled 3G overnight and enabled 3G this morning. Works fine. The phone has worked flawlessly up to now.

Message was edited by: Douglas Weber

2.5Ghz MBP, 1.42Ghz Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Jul 2, 2009 7:23 AM

1 reply

Jul 2, 2009 7:44 AM in response to Douglas Weber

I had the same exact problem yesterday (5 BARS no voice on 3G but had 3G data and EDGE voice) here in Florida.... I called tech support to see what was up.... They said it was the 3G network.... And that there was an "open ticket" on this issue yesterday. Some time last night I turned 3G back on and called my phone and it connected to my phone. But This morning I had no bars on 3G so I just turned on EDGE and had signal.

No indication of No Service - 5 bars but unable to complete calls on 3G

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.