Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rulers and guide lines?

Dear iWeb experts,

I'm just learning the app. And I'm hoping, praying, there is some way to display rulers at the window margins (much like you can do in Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark, etc.). Is that possible?

Also, is there any way to create custom guide lines for lining up elements?

Thanks much.

John

Macbook Pro

Posted on Jul 2, 2009 10:40 AM

9 replies

Jul 2, 2009 11:29 PM in response to JohnIRL

Hi John!

Well Cy, as usual, has some deep dark arts that endows iWeb with features that most of us wish it to have. In the interim...

You could create an image (or images) in Photoshop that show gridlines vis-a-vis your typical set-up (pixel dimensions). The grid can be set in Photoshop's "Preferences" with minor & major gridlines. Then take a screenshot of one of the minor/major grid sections. This needs to be done carefully because you are going to "tile" this image in iWeb...

In the "Page Inspector" > "Page Background" (drop down menu) > "Image Fill" ("Tile" option)...
and select the screenshot image of the grid section you created in Photoshop.

You now have a grid set to your typical specs to assist you in the initial layout which you can use over and over for your web page designs. By the thoughtful demarcation of the minor/major grid set-up in Photoshop there should be no need for a ruler guide.

After your major design elements are in place substitute the "Image Fill" of the grid with the page background you desire.

If you need to have a guideline type of element use the "Shapes" to create a long line (or a thin rectangle) that you can drag offscreen when it's not needed. Kludgey? - you betcha! - but it works.

Jul 3, 2009 5:19 PM in response to Jim_Scott

In the interim...
You could create an image (or images) in Photoshop that show gridlines vis-a-vis your typical

that is quite over kill, isn't it?
photoshop = $$$???
iweb ~~ $16

Well Cy, as usual, has some deep dark arts that endows iWeb with features that most of us wish it to have.

yup, there are half dozen features that apple sw eng decided not useful enough for iweb users...
such as objects grouping, make shape editable, along with rulers and guidelines, best you can do is giving them feedback.

the deepest/darkest in iweb3 features is widget (not the half baked html snippet), you can build/customize widgets in iweb3, but yet there is no tool provided by apple.
but that doesn't stop me, I have been creating my own widget with dashcode (dashcode is a free develop sw from apple for dashboard).

Jul 3, 2009 10:46 PM in response to Cyclosaurus

@Cyclosaurus

+That is quite over kill, isn't it?+
+photoshop = $$$???+
+iweb ~~ $16+

Good point - I guess this is why lawyers plague our planet.

So for those of you who were baffled at the concept of spending $600 for Photoshop just to create a pixel grid - may I offer the following alternatives:

- In lieu of Photoshop you could use any program that can generate a pixel grid.
- You could use iWeb itself to create the grid using Shapes (and then take a screen shot).
- You could scan graph paper (of course if you didn't have a scanner this would cost $$$).
- You could take a picture of graph paper (of course if you didn't have a camera this would cost $$$).

============
And now that we've cleared the air of over kills I would echo OT's & threek9s question...
How did you "reveal" the rulers/guides?

The OT poster's question clearly is asking for a simple resolution - your answer is cryptic - why is this so? What is the point?

Rulers and guide lines?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.