Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I have a virtual second display?

This I suspect this is a stupid question, but that's never stopped me before.

I use the mini as a standard htpc. I use screen sharing from my macbook to get the mini do other tasks while we watch television or movies, such as handbrakes or manage itunes. The bother is that I have to take it out of full screen to check up what is happening and schedule new tasks.

It would be good if I could screen share to the mini on a different screen, so to say, or perhaps a different "space". Can you do this? Could I set up for example the macbook as a separate display in screen sharing? Sounds weird. Any hints?

macbook 2.4 late 2008, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Jul 3, 2009 2:16 AM

6 replies

Jul 4, 2009 9:48 AM in response to kizkij

What I would try first is to hook up a real second display to the mini along with the TV and then see if you can accomplish what you hope to from the second screen. If that works, then proceed with figuring out how to spoof a second screen.

I think it will require add-on hardware. I don't think there is anyway to fool OS X into seeing a second screen unless there really is physically something hanging off the port. The trick is to try and make it as cheap and small as possible. Gefen's DVI Detective would certainly work, but that's not cheap.

Jul 5, 2009 7:59 AM in response to kizkij

I realize in your final configuration you don't want a real second screen. I was just pointing out that by temporarily using a real second screen, even if you have to borrow one from somewhere, you will be able to tell if what you want to do from it can be done at all. A real screen is going to perform the same as a pretend one, so that's why I suggest to try a real one first.

A pretend screen is possible, but it takes add-on hardware, possibly something as simple as a bare connector with some resistors soldered onto it. But for sure the DVI Detective would do the trick.

Can I have a virtual second display?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.