Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does a Mac Pro have TWO Ethernet ports?

Friends:

This may sound trivial, but why does a Mac Pro have TWO Ethernet ports? I don't understand the rationalization for this. What do you typically do with the second one?

Also, I note that sometimes the two green dots on the control panel inside system preferences are lit, when only one Ethernet cable is plugged into port 1 as if both ports were connected to something. Why is this?

Thanks amigos,

Migs

2.66 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro/ 3 Gb SDRAM, Mac OS X (10.5.7), Using C++ under XCode 3.0

Posted on Jul 3, 2009 7:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2009 5:46 PM

Not one darn thing trivial about asking an honest question... And now that you've learned, so have others.
Glad to have you here. 🙂
10 replies

Jul 3, 2009 8:25 AM in response to Miguel Reznicek

This may sound trivial, but why does a Mac Pro have TWO Ethernet ports? I don't understand the rationalization for this. What do you typically do with the second one?

The second port could be used for a high-speed (1 Gbps) link between computers and file servers while the first is used for internet. Internet modems don't have 1 GBPS ports, so sharing one port on the computer would reduce the bandwidth available for file transfers.
Also, I note that sometimes the two green dots on the control panel inside system preferences are lit, when only one Ethernet cable is plugged into port 1 as if both ports were connected to something. Why is this?

If there is nothing connected, the dot should be red.

Jul 8, 2009 5:21 AM in response to Samsara

I'm actually having some difficulties. Within our office network we have two internet proxy servers with IPs: 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.3. When I connect to ...3 everything works, but when I connect to ....1 I have no access. I'm only using one port to do these tests. The MacPro tries to connect but fails. I deleted all my network settings and entered them again to try and get ...1 to work to no avial. I would really like to know how to diagnose if the problem stems from my machine or the respective server. I have substituted cables to make sure it's not something trivial but I'm still stumped.
As always, thanks for your kind input!
Migs

Jul 8, 2009 12:46 PM in response to Miguel Reznicek

In my difficult experience of configuring ports and other issues with sharing and so on, it's the Mac and not anything else that is causing 98% of the problem. I've been finding odd things in a variety of programs that only work if I make changes and restart my Mac again.

What the problem is I don't know. Perhaps router issues also? But it's in your Mac somewhere. That's just how I would look at it and then start uninstalling and reinstalling any software involved.

I wish you luck with what can be a really bothersome problem. I hope others more familiar with the topic will write in too. if they don't, start a new topic on this alone and more people will see it.

Jul 10, 2009 1:02 PM in response to Miguel Reznicek

I was actually on the phone with Applecare about this very issue last week. My Mac Pro and Linkstation network drive are both 10/100/1000, but my older Netgear router is limited to 10/100. I thought I'd speed things up by connecting my network drive into Ethernet 2. It *will not* work. I've tried creating different locations with one port turned off, manually entering the IP that came with the Linkstation, etc. Either I can see the Internet on 1, or the Linkstation on 2, but I have to unplug one to see the other. The supervisor at Apple was stumped; he was intrigued enough, he said, that he was going to keep researching the issue and call me back if and when he found a solution.

Why does a Mac Pro have TWO Ethernet ports?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.