Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

COX Email & Mac Mail Issues!!!

+I have read some solutions on other posts regarding compatibility issues with Cox & email. For whatever reason, these solutions aren't working for me.+ Calling Cox has been a complete waste of time!!!!

_Here's my problem_: I can only get my email on the Cox server and to my iPhone, but not to Mail on my Mac. One caveat: I can send/receive a message to myself from Mail & the server...!!??? (but not from anyone else)

_Here are my POP Settings_:
* pop.west.cox.net (from another user, I alternated between "pop" to "spop" - it doesn't seem to make a difference?)
* smtp.west.cox.net
* Port: 110 (SSL box NOT checked)

I deleted the Cox keychain certificate because it was expired. Not sure if this was a good idea or not - just following another users advice.

I also used the Mail Connection Doctor - all green!

+**I really hope that someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong! +
+Thanks so much! +

Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Jul 6, 2009 7:47 PM

8 replies

Jul 6, 2009 9:07 PM in response to AmarieW

_Here's my problem_: I can only get my email on the Cox server and to my iPhone, but not to Mail on my Mac. One caveat: I can send/receive a message to myself from Mail & the server...!!??? (but not from anyone else)

Sorry, but none of that makes any sense to me. What do you mean by 'the Cox server?' Do you mean webmail?
You can send an email to yourself--is that to your cox email from your cox email?
_Here are my POP Settings_:
* pop.west.cox.net (from another user, I alternated between "pop" to "spop" - it doesn't seem to make a difference?)
* smtp.west.cox.net
* Port: 110 (SSL box NOT checked)

To use spop you need to check the ssl box.

You should have the part before the @ in you email address as the User Name.
On the Advanced tab, you should have Password selected for Authentication.

Edit the smtp server list--the option is in the server popup list.
Set it for Password authentication and use the same username and password as for the incoming mail server.

You're not supposed to need that, but give it a shot.

Jul 7, 2009 6:42 AM in response to Barney-15E

O.k. - Yes, by the mail server, I mean webmail. I can send & receive email from webmail. And, I can send email from Mail, just don't receive it (except if it's from me...)
Make sense? It's definitely confusing to me, let alone explain it.

I tried putting in the password. Didn't change anything, but thanks for the suggestion.

Question: When I went to put in a password in the server list, do I check the SSL box there and/or use a custom port? Cox had told me originally to put in custom port as 25, but this still didn't get me messages from webmail. (I had the "default port" selection)

Again, Thank you!

Jul 7, 2009 11:41 AM in response to AmarieW

O.k. - For whatever crazy reason, Mail is now working. I just started getting email - not the ones that were already on the server, however - just new messages.

I am still cross-checking to make sure it's actually fixed. Maybe it was the password suggestion? I hope so - thanks for your help & I really hope that I don't have to come back!

(FYI: I went back to using my default smtp port, instead of port 25)

Jul 7, 2009 4:17 PM in response to Jerryb

I'm on the east server, and I've seen some strange goings on between my two computers. I suddenly just got a bunch of old email that had never downloaded to the desktop. So, I think there are strange things afoot at the circle K.

My laptop is set to not remove anything from the server, and my Desktop leaves it there for a week.

Jul 12, 2009 4:14 PM in response to AmarieW

I am having similar problems. I have mobile me, but I also set up an inbox for my cox mail. Things worked great for several days...and now my cox mail appears only on the web mail, but not in my inbox on the iMac. Even if I send a message to myself, I get nothing when I check the mail.

I have had the iMac for less than 2 weeks, but have had an iBook for several years. This has never been an issue before.

Jul 21, 2009 3:20 AM in response to rockm

I am on the Cox East server as well. I, too, have been having problems getting the Cox mail from the server into my inboxes. I have an iMac as well as a PC, (using Outlook Express and XP). The mail is not going into either inbox, just staying on the webmail.
Then, suddenly, all the mail will go into one inbox or another. All will be well for a few days, then it's back to the webmail hostage situation.

I figure it must be some sort of issue with Cox. I haven't lost any mail that I know if....it's just a pain.

COX Email & Mac Mail Issues!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.