Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

There might be a problem with your network The other Mac is not responding

My G4 (Quicksilver) died and I replaced it with a G5 Dual 2.3 assuming that I could just swap PCI cards and drives to move everything over but like an Idiot I didn't do the research.

The G5 has PCIe so my my PCI Sonnett Tempo ATA and the drives attached to it were not immediately available to me. so....

Installed a NEW SATA (1.5 TB Barracuda) and partitioned it with two partitions (1TB and 344 GB) using Disk Utility and installed a fresh copy of 10.5.7 on the 1TB partition. Then I removed the DVD and installed my old 200GB ATA drive in it's place and rebooted to the OLD drive.

I backed up the old drive to the 344 GB partition with TM but got two errors.

The first asking me if I really wanted to B/U to the same drive as I was using, odd because I was booted to the OLD ATA and attempting to B/U to the new SATA drive. I clicked OK and the B/U proceeded.

The second error came after I was booted to the NEW SATA drive and was using the Migration Assistant to restore from the TM B/U.

"There might be a problem with your network

The other Mac is not responding. Make sure that all of your network devices are connected and turned on. Also, make sure that your Ethernet cables are still connected properly to your computer and to the network, or if using AirPort, that the base station is in range and turned on." Every Drive is INTERNAL!

Migration Assistant created the correct user data but never moved the Apps or Files for that user.

I had all the energy saver features turned off (drive spin-down) but something is still preventing the Migration Assistant from completing.

THEN..... I attached a 500 GB External FW-800 and tried to copy it's contents to the empty 344 GB partition so I could try a B/U to the FW drive but the copy "hung" preparing to copy and I ended up having to Force Quit the Finder to get out of it.

I was able to copy and paste the FW drive's contents folders individually.

I then used TM to back up the "old ATA drive to the external FW drive.

Booted to the NEW SATA with a fresh 10.5.7 install and attempted to use the migration assistant to load my OLD user to the NEW drive and got the SAME ERROR as before.

"Continue" returns the same error after a while. "Cancel" gets a message that the migration was complete with some problems.

Migration Assistant created the correct user data but never moved the Apps for that user.

Help!

G5 Dual 2.3 GeForce, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Jul 7, 2009 7:48 AM

11 replies

Jul 7, 2009 10:54 AM in response to B Roger

This is rather hard to follow, and figuring out just what went wrong and when won't really help much, as all you want to do now is be sure you've got everything.

If I understand it correctly, you now have all the right data, much copied via the Finder. If so, check for permissions problems that can occur if you do this, especially in a multi-user environment. If there are many problems, you might do better by using the normal TM interface to select and restore the files & folders.

If all you're now missing are separate Applications folders for each user, use the TM interface to restore them, also.

Note that you probably won't see the backups you want via +Enter Time Machine.+ TM keeps the backups for each Mac separate, and normally only shows the ones for the Mac it's running on, even if there are other Macs' backups on its disk/partition.

To see these "other" backups, you need the (badly named) +Browse Other Time Machine Disks+ option. It's available by holding down the Option key while selecting the TM icon in your Menubar, or by control-clicking (right-clicking) the TM icon in your Dock.

You'll see a selection screen showing all the disks/partitions that have TM backups on them. Select the one you want, and you'll be taken to the normal TM "Star Wars" interface, where you should see all the backups on that disk/partition. You can restore from such backups to an alternate location, by selecting the desired items, clicking the "gear" icon in the TM Finder window's toolbar, and selecting the +Restore <item> to ...+ option.

Also note that when you start doing TM backups from the new Mac, the old ones will be "stranded" -- TM won't delete the oldest ones when it needs room for backups of your new Mac. It will delete the oldest backups from the NEW Mac instead. So your best bet may be, once you're sure you've got everything, to erase your TM disk with Disk Utility and let TM start fresh with the new Mac.

Jul 7, 2009 12:32 PM in response to Pondini

Sorry, you are not even close.

Let me simplify.

New Drive, fresh install of 10.5.7 with one ADMIN account and one guest account.

Nothing copied with the Finder. Just the fresh OS install.

I am trying to Migrate my Old computer's data to a new computer using Migration Assistant ONLY!

The computer has two drives installed internally. One is the OLD ATA drive on the DVD's bus and the other is a NEW SATA (boot drive) with a fresh install of the OS (both 10.5.7)

There is ALSO a FW800 drive connected that contains 1 Time Machine back up of the OLD drive.

There are no "other" back ups. No other computers. I never use Time Machine. I did ONE back up to the FW800 drive while booted to the OLD drive for this specific task.

It does not matter which "source" I choose to Migrate from, the Migration Assistant fails to function properly. It ALWAYS returns the error.

There might be a problem with your network.
The other Mac is not responding. Make sure that all of your network devices are connected and turned on. Also, make sure that your Ethernet cables are still connected properly to your computer and to the network, or if using AirPort, that the base station is in range and turned on.

THERE IS NO NETWORK INVOLVED!

There are two options presented with the error, Continue and Cancel.

Continue will return the error again. (loop)

Cancel will return with "Migration completed with some problems"

I find it hard to believe that BOTH the ATA and the FW drive are triggering the SAME non response error.

What about jumper settings on the new SATA drive. Do I need to FORCE 150 for this computer?

Jul 7, 2009 12:48 PM in response to B Roger

B Roger wrote:
Sorry, you are not even close.

As I said, it's hard to follow. This part misled me:
THEN..... I attached a 500 GB External FW-800 and tried to copy it's contents to the empty 344 GB partition so I could try a B/U to the FW drive but the copy "hung" preparing to copy and I ended up having to Force Quit the Finder to get out of it.

I was able to copy and paste the FW drive's contents folders individually.

I am trying to Migrate my Old computer's data to a new computer using Migration Assistant ONLY!

And that's not working, right? That's why I'm suggesting doing selective restores from the TM backup. Since that backup is from your "old" drive, it's possible TM thinks they're from a different Mac. In that case, you may not see those backups with +Enter Time Machine.+ If not, use +Browse Other Time Machine Disks.+

Jul 7, 2009 2:23 PM in response to B Roger

AND..now that I have booted back to my "OLD" drive,

My Applications folder (USER) is empty. All of the Icons that I put in the Dock are gone and TM will not restore back to the Back up that I did just 3 hours ago.

This Time machine and Migration Assistant are the biggest pieces of crap I have ever seen come out of Apple in my 18 years ad a Mac user.

Jul 11, 2009 8:15 AM in response to B Roger

After a couple more days of tinkering I was able to get everything "migrated" to the new drive EXCEPT my applications.

My dock icons were there with a "?"

Looking at the TM backup, it moved only 1 app's folder to my User/Applications folder and left all the others on the original drive.

I had to install all of my non-(included) OS X apps. from their original disks.

I just wish that Apple would not release new "features" until they are certified bullet proof like in the "Old Days".

Jul 11, 2009 8:45 AM in response to B Roger

B Roger wrote:

I just wish that Apple would not release new "features" until they are certified bullet proof like in the "Old Days".

Then perhaps you shouldn't have upgraded from, oh, say, OS9.

Or you should wait to use anything new until it's proved bullet-proof. You know, in 4 or 5 years.

Instead of Time Machine, use CarbonCopyCloner, SuperDuper! or the like. Oh, I forgot, they have forums where people post problems, too, so I guess they aren't perfect, either.

Aug 13, 2009 12:26 AM in response to B Roger

I'm having the exact same problem. I'm trying to migrate to a new Mac Pro from a Power Mac G5. I just want to move my user folder.

I'm running migration assistant and I've tried several scenarios. 1) I tried running Migration assistant and choosing my external firewire 800 Time Machine backup hard drive. It is the only thing plugged into the Mac. I get the same error message.

"The other Mac is not responding. Make sure that all of your network devices are connected and turned on. Also, make sure that your Ethernet cables are still connected properly to your computer and to the network, or if using AirPort, that the base station is in range and turned on."

Really? its a time machine backup on an external hard drive.

When I tried using Migration Assistant to migrate directly from my G5 I went through the steps all the way through rebooting the G5 in target disk mode. However the G5 never shows up in the Migration assistant window to choose to migrate from. The strange thing is that the Target Disk actually shows up on the desktop of the Mac Pro.

I've been trying to get this to work for a week and a 1/2 now.

Sep 4, 2009 9:46 AM in response to B Roger

B Roger,

I ran into this issue setting up 6 new intel based imacs running leopard 10.5.6 The problem appears to originate if there has been a previous user account setup on the system prior to the migration. It took me a few hours while performing these transfers to isolate the issue, but the ones that I had not initiated the migration on before adding an account worked. The ones that I attempted after doing so, and running MA from the apps folder failed with the same message. Don't know if this will help your situation, but it might be worth a try.

Larry

There might be a problem with your network The other Mac is not responding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.