Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erase all content and settings

there is (was) this setting on my iphone which says 'erase all content and settings'. I thought it would do just that - erase my contents and my settings thereby restoring the iphoe to default. I selected it and after a long time erasing all content and settings, my iphone only now gives me the apple logo and the activity circle. Ho do I reset it please or is it dead?

Thanks a lot if you can help.

MacBook Pro,, Mac OS X (10.5.7), 2.0GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM + 250GB HD

Posted on Jul 7, 2009 1:01 PM

2 replies

Jul 7, 2009 1:06 PM in response to Easily Easy

I haven't done this type if erase but I understand it takes a few hours - maybe you just need to wait.

If you decide to, a reset is done by pressing the home and sleep buttons until you see the Apple logo, ignoring the slider. Takes about 5-15 secs of button holding and you won't lose any data or settings.

I wouldn't reset until I was sure that the device was not responding, i.e. maybe after overnight. Also, make sure it's plugged in.

Jul 7, 2009 1:22 PM in response to paulcb

Hi Paulcb,

Thank you very much for your prompt response, my problem seems to have been solved by modular747. This is what he recommended:++

+Do a DFU recovery:+

+1. Open iTunes.+
+2. Connect the iPhone+
+3 Press both the home and sleep/wake buttons until the Apple icon appears (ignore the red slider if it shows).+
+4. Continue pressing the home button alone until iTunes sees your phone in recovery mode.+
+5. Follow the prompts to restore the iPhone.+

+Message was edited by: modular747+

Erase all content and settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.