Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Opening Emails Slow in Mac Mail

The issue i am having is that e-mail messages in mac mail take longer than normal to render the HTML in the body.

I can see the subject and who its from but the body takes about 20-40 seconds to render the e-mail.

I notice that some people on the discussion boards are having the same issue but no one has really posted a 100% solution for the issue.

specs on the laptop is intel core 2 duo with 2gb ram running 10.5.7.

macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Jul 7, 2009 5:52 PM

6 replies

Jul 8, 2009 6:33 PM in response to integlspwr

If you delete the Envelope Index file, you lose nothing; it just gets recreated when you restart Mail. But if you haven't tried repairing permissions yet, do that. If you're using DSL or cable Internet, it's worth the effort to reset your modem/router by unplugging it for a few minutes, then plug it back in and see if that also helps.

You should also open System Preferences>Network and add these two DNS server entries:

Save the changes and quit, then restart Mail. These are faster servers than those used by your ISP, and in the case of Safari, will provide protection against phishing attacks.

Jul 9, 2009 9:10 PM in response to integlspwr

To repair permissions:

Launch Disk Utility (in your /Applications/Utilities folder), select the name of your hard drive, be sure you're in the First Aid section, then click on Repair Disk Permissions and wait for it to finish. Quit and restart Mail to see if it makes any difference.

Post back with results, and whether or not you rebuilt your Mail index.

Opening Emails Slow in Mac Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.