4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 8, 2009 2:15 PM by Smallwheels
Smallwheels Level 1 (0 points)
I have a 2008 Mac Book 2.4 GHz 2 GB RAM computer. It has the older integrated x3100 graphics processor. Is a 2009 2.0 GHz Mini faster at playing video and manipulating photos?

Originally I wanted a Mini but last April there were no new Mini's, just the old overdue for a refresh models. I waited until last September and couldn't wait any more. My old computer was dying. So I bought a Mac Book. It has never left my desk and is always running. I'm considering selling it and buying a newer Mini. There are no Apple stores in my home state of Montana. One computer shop sells them but nobody there knows much about Macs.

I use computers for internet surfing, editing video from my Flip Video camera, uploading video and other data to blogs, storing photos, word processing, and streaming movies from an online movie source. I intend to build some web sites in the future but it won't be my profession.

If I buy a Mini it will be the base model with the smallest drive and 1 GB RAM. I have an external hard drive and I would prefer to add the 4 GB RAM myself.

Is the new Mini just as good as my Mac Book or even better for the things I do?
It would be ideal if someone who owns the same model Mac Book and a 2009 Mini would comment on this.

Thank you for your help.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.7)
  • Boece Level 5 (6,245 points)
    Can't speak to the native speed comparison, but here are what I see as pros and cons:

MacBook pros: easier to upgrade the hard drive and max out the RAM; built-in power-outage protection since it has its own battery; built-in video camera; if this is a Core 2 Duo model Snow Leopard "should" be able to address 4 Gig of RAM.

MacBook cons: slower Firewire 400 interface; fewer video connection options; fewer usb ports; more likely to overheat if pushed hard.

2009 Mini pros: much faster Firewire 800 port for external drive; dual monitor support; 5 usb ports; better cooling system; graphics system is likely faster; Snow Leopard will be able to address 4 Gig of RAM on this for sure. Being a 2009 model, it will come with iLife09.

2009 Mini cons: much harder to work on internally and potentially warranty-voiding; you'll need an external UPS if you have problematic rural power; no built-in camera.

Additional comment: computers wear out; so if your MacBook has been running 24/7, its remaining life expectancy is likely less than a new Mini.
  • angermeans Level 1 (0 points)
    Hey I know this is off topic and I apologize but I have a new mini 2.0 ghz processor 2gb RAM and 320 gb hdd. I just bought it in April and I am now thinking of selling/trading to get a macbook for school. I was just wondering if at all you where thinking of trading?
  • Smallwheels Level 1 (0 points)
    Boece those are the pros and cons I've thought of too. I'm not too rural but the UPS is something I need lately. My modem keeps needing to be reset. I suspect it is due to power fluctuations that started last week.

Losing the Mac Book screen isn't something that would bother me too much. I have used two screens at the same time and it is useful for doing two things. Usually I will watch a seminar or other learning video on one screen and take notes on the Mac Book Screen.

I have yet to use the video camera only for a lack of someone else who has one too. I was hoping to do some video calls.

Do external video cameras come with microphones?

I would add my web site here but Apple is to cranky about that.
  • Smallwheels Level 1 (0 points)
    Angermeans that is a good idea. Unfortunately it won't work for me. The sale of the Mac Book will bring more money than the price of a Mini. I would use that extra money to buy RAM, a different keyboard, and some other things.

Buying a new Mini would also give me a new one year warranty.

I just bought an HP Pavilion as a spare computer running Vista. I've had it ten days and there is a hardware problem. It must be returned to the factory service center. DON'T BELIEVE HP WILL EVER SEND SOMEONE TO YOUR HOME. My telephone technician has worked for HP for a year and not once has she sent someone to a customers home to repair a computer.

The way their interpretation of in home service works is that only known hardware problems will get a technician to come to your home. They will only bring a part and install that part. They WILL NOT DIAGNOSE ANY PROBLEMS while at the service call. Apparently diagnosis is not considered service in the eyes of HP. Which makes one wonder how in the world they will ever know which part is really acting up? In my case there is a suspicion that the NVIDIA 9300 graphics card is malfunctioning, BUT; since they don't know for sure it will first be considered a software problem (even though the OS and all the drivers were reinstalled).

Are there any companies left in this world that believe customer service is the first order of business? It makes me wonder.