You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari not showing history?

Under my history drop down menu, there is no recorded history, nor is any of my fill-in working. In addition, my top sites is not working anymore; hitting the symbol causes Safari to freeze up, as does trying to "Show All Bookmarks." My bookmark bar however does work fine.

Does anyone know a solution to these problems?

I have screenshots of the issues if needed, they aren't very helpful though.

I have tried reinstalling Safari, it didn't work.

MacBook3,1, Mac OS X (10.5.7), Safari 4.0.1

Posted on Jul 8, 2009 9:27 AM

5 replies

Jul 8, 2009 9:47 AM in response to unblownkisses

You don't need to reinstall Safari; the application is rarely the actual problem, so that's a waste of your time and effort.

Instead, try removing the com.apple.Safari.plist file from ~/Library/Preferences, then restart Safari and setup your preferences as you had them before and see if it works normally again. If so, then you can Trash the old preferences file you just removed.

Jul 8, 2009 8:00 PM in response to sitspotsit

That didn't work for me. Still have no history
I also forgot to mention that Reseting Safari did nothing.

screenshots below.

my complete history dropdown bar... main problem.
User uploaded file
extension of having no history, netflix was in my top sites.
User uploaded file
what happens when i click on the top sites icon, gives me this and then is unresponsive.
User uploaded file
lastly, when i try to show all bookmarks, the same thing as when i use top sites happens, it shows this and then freezes up (though unlike in top sites, this one says that it's loading. it never actually loads.) don't know how related this one is.
User uploaded file

Jul 8, 2009 9:33 PM in response to unblownkisses

Try this to see if it helps:

Setup a new user account and test Safari there; if the problem is still there, then it's a systemwide issue. Otherwise, it's limited to your regular user account.

In your regular user account, go to ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari and delete the entire contents of that folder, then use Get Info and Lock that folder.

Next, go to ~/Library/Safari and delete these files:

Downloads.plist
History.plist
LastSession.plist

Then restart Safari and see if that solves your problem.

Safari not showing history?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.