Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 4.0.1 Bugs with RSS

Hi. I'm noticing that some of my RSS feeds do not update properly. Actually, it's been weeks since a particular RSS feed has updated. When I go directly to the web site's page, the topics are as they should be. They also work fine in Firefox.

Another problem is the dates are all wrong. In particular, I'm getting weird years - some showing recent topics posted decades ago and some showing years in the future! Perhaps the two problems are related as the sort order is date dependent and that is likely affecting how the feed is coming through.

Here is the link to the page I'm receiving an RSS feed from: feed://www.dpreview.com/feeds/forums/forum1032.xml

Mac Pro Dual Quad Core 2.8, Mac OS X (10.5.4), ???

Posted on Jul 9, 2009 12:36 AM

13 replies

Jul 9, 2009 1:01 AM in response to kencanuck

Hi

The client preference file may need to be reset.

Go to the Finder: Your User Account>Library>PubSub folder. There, move the clients.plist file to the desktop, then restart Safari. The feeds ought to start repopulating.

If that does not resolve the problem, then in the same folder>Database, move the Database.sqlite3 file to the desktop, then restart Safari.

Post back

Jul 10, 2009 1:55 AM in response to Hawaiian_Starman

Nope. Neither of your suggestions nor the suggestion from Carolyn worked. I should mention also that both my Mac Pro and my Macbook Pro demonstrate the same problem.

If you follow the link I included in my original post, does the item "5DII video editing again !!" show up as the first listing, with a posting date of May 12, '91? The actual date of the post was July 6, '09.

Jul 13, 2009 11:25 AM in response to kencanuck

Hi

Please change your Apple Discussion's tag from 10.5.4 to your current version via the My Settings link on the right of the AD panel.

Move the files/folders back to their original location, replacing the newly created ones.

Update to Safari 4.0.2 via Software Update.

Try Safari from another User Account (if necessary, create one in System Pref>Accounts).

First, create a duplicate of your Bookmarks.plist file (Command/D keys) in your User Account>Library>Safari folder. Then, move that copy to Your User Account>Public>Drop Box.

Log on to the other account. In the Finder: User Account>Public>Drop Box. Rename the Bookmarks file there to Bookmarks.plist, then move it to User Account>Library>Safari folder, replacing the existing file there.

Open Safari. Let me know how the feeds appear there. If the same corruption appears, then it's possible your Bookmarks file containing the various feeds is corrupted.

Post back

Message was edited by: Hawaiian_Starman

Jul 13, 2009 11:33 AM in response to Hawaiian_Starman

Hi. I've already changed my tags and have updated to 4.0.2 since I began this thread, hoping the problem was fixed.

As I stated, this is not an isolated situation as I have both a Mac Pro and a Macbook Pro, both of which show the identical problem and since all the feeds are built separately on the two computers, I suspect this is an actual bug with Safari. I also wrote that Safari on my iPod Touch also screws up the feed dates, albeit differently from my two computers. Did you try the feed I posted to see if it's happening on your computer as well? Here's the link again: feed://www.dpreview.com/feeds/forums/forum1032.xml

Jul 13, 2009 12:19 PM in response to kencanuck

Hi

I looked at that feed earlier; just did it again. What's odd is the early dates at the top of the feed. That would indicate a coding problem at the web site level.

Are you seeing a wide-spread dysfunction with the feeds, or only specific ones (I interpreted your comments to indicate a more wide-spread problem). If the latter, post a few of the links here and I'll try them out. Otherwise, try Safari from another User Account, as I suggested.

Jul 13, 2009 11:01 PM in response to Hawaiian_Starman

Actually, I've only noticed the problem on that web site. However, Firefox shows the RSS feeds properly so it's a combination of dpreview and Safari. As I also indicated, I see the problem on two computers so a different user account on the same computer is not going to make a difference. Anyway, hopefully this gets fixed. How do you submit "problems" with software to Apple?

Safari 4.0.1 Bugs with RSS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.