Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How exactly does address book phone number formatting work?

I live in Canada, and where I live, numbers are all (780) 1234-5678, and a +1 is not allowed for local calls, so I don't put that in.

I want to know how to input this information into Leopard's Address Book so that the formatting is right, and that it syncs this correctly with iPhone, so that calls are made as (780) 1234-5678 rather than +1 (780) 1234-5678.

Do I need to change the formatting options in Address Book Preferences? Because that confuses me a lot. I don't get how dragging the blocks around change my number. Can someone explain that to me?

MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo (Late 2006), Mac OS X (10.5.7), 3 GB RAM

Posted on Jul 9, 2009 11:13 AM

1 reply

Jul 9, 2009 2:57 PM in response to heytaxi

You need to choose (or create) a phone number format for your country or the country of your contacts in the Address Book preferences. You're not dragging things around, you're selecting a format or editing an existing one to suit your needs.

I don't believe this will change your phone number(s); you will need to edit them to remove the +1 prefix, if it's there; any new numbers you enter in the future using that format will be formatted correctly.

How exactly does address book phone number formatting work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.