Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Enable iPhone microphone while using headphones without built in mic

Hey,

I was wondering if there was a way to enable the iPhone's microphone when regular headphones (without a built in microphone) are plugged in. One of the most exciting features of the 3GS for me was the Voice Commands meaning i can change my music with ease while driving, but my phone is plugged into my car stereo via the mini jack socket. When i try the voice commands, it doesn't work because it's looking for a signal coming from the headphones microphone, which obviously isn't there. Anyone have a solution?

Thanks

iPhone 3GS, iPhone OS 3.0

Posted on Jul 10, 2009 11:49 AM

4 replies

Jul 14, 2009 8:55 PM in response to Woz Records

Yup, I've got the same issue. If you look at the plugs of a regular headphone and the ones with microphones you'll see that the ones with mics have four metal connection points instead of three--left and right audio, ground, and the mic. When you plug in regular headphones what I think is happening is that it shorts out the mic connection, which is why it turns off. When I get the chance I was going to play around with it to see if I can consistently get it to work. Will let you know if I do.

As a side note: when the iPhone is plugged in from the bottom the sound comes from Aux-out instead stead of the headphone jack, which is why the microphone works. You'll also notice that sound from the phone (people talking) does not seem to go through the auxiliary out.

Enable iPhone microphone while using headphones without built in mic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.