Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converting .mov to .wmv

Does anyone know how to convert a quicktime .mov file to play on a windows media player? What file type should I convert to: wmv,avi,asf? Thanks in advance

intel, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jul 10, 2009 1:24 PM

14 replies

Jul 10, 2009 2:01 PM in response to dzavala

So flip4mac can convert a quicktime to be playable on a windows system?

Yes.

Do I need a video editing application to be able to perform the conversion or does flip4mac do everything for you

The Flip4Mac codecs are just that; codecs. They work within another application; Final Cut Pro, Final Cut Express HD, QuickTime Pro, iMovie HD6 (they don't at this time work directly in iMovie '08 or '09), Discreet Cleaner 6, Compressor 3, etc.

Regards.

Jul 11, 2009 10:37 AM in response to dzavala

So after buying flip4mac studio pro I'm still having problems with converting from a quicktime to avi or wmv. The problems I am having are either the audio starts way to soon and get cut off in the first 30 sec or the video resolution is super grainy or it only plays for the first 30sec with every thig working correctly. What setting do i need to set to get a good quality conversion? Should I do the conversions on a windows system? what other options do I have? thanks for you help

Jul 11, 2009 12:37 PM in response to dzavala

here's more detail on my system and work flow. I have a 4core intell mac pro with 5 gigs of ram running osx10.5. I'm using imovie6 to export the quicktime movie that was made with keynote. I believe the quicktime version is 7.6. When I export from imovie to a avi the resolution is supper grainy but the video plays its entirity. But when I up the resolution I only get about 30 seconds of play. The whole movie is 5min32sec. I need to get this video to work on a windows xp system. How can I get the higher res video to work?

Jul 12, 2009 8:48 AM in response to dzavala

If it's cutting off after 30 seconds, it sounds to me like the Flip4Mac components aren't correctly registered and still think you're running the free version for which the export is only a demo mode which restricts export to 30 seconds. I'd suggest you ask in the Flip4Mac forums where you'll probably get help with both that problem and the quality issue.

Regards.

Oct 14, 2009 5:52 AM in response to DrDolphin

DrDolphin, In fact there are many tools can realize that function in converting mov to wmv for mac, like isquint, MPEG Streamclip. but on my side, I more prefer to use this MOV converter for Mac,I have used it for a long time. it works pretty well. If you are interested in it, here is a guide about how to download and use it
http://blog.bitcomet.com/post/95356/

Converting .mov to .wmv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.