Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dear APPLE, kindly do something for your customers.

I have encountered lots of posts and even personal testimonies from apple users airing frustrations and disappontments concerning DVD drives. And I am one of them. Apple users worldwide who owns different region DVDs would like to play them without the hassle of encountering the "this is your last chance to set the region coding for this drive".

In behalf of those people, I would like to make an appeal if you could come up with a software that could help us play our DVDs freely. Or for the better, make all your computer products region free. Imagine millions of Apple users would get new ones for this. Definitely, I would.

I hope you would do something for your customers one way or the other.

Thank you.

Posted on Oct 31, 2005 2:46 AM

3 replies

Nov 29, 2005 1:47 PM in response to Ariel Reonal

I also strongly support this request. It is ridiculous in the global society of today that it is not possible to play a DVD legally purchased in another region.

My daughter has a US based ibook and attends college in the UK. She is unable to play any DVD's she has purchased in the UK because of this stupid limitation. Is there anything that can be purchased (eg another DVD player software or external DVD drive set up in PAL) that will allow playing of these DVDs? For goodness sake I'm prepared to PAY for it!!!

Dec 7, 2005 4:01 PM in response to Neil Redpath

Hi, may I take this opportunity to let you know that there is a possible solution to the DVD problem. I don't have much experience (sorry) but I know that the program "MacTheRipper" allows you to rip DVDs to the hard disk and remove the region code and make it a regionless DVD when you burn it back to a blank DVD. I know that's quite a hassle to do, but it's worth a shot until Apple gets its act together. Peace.

Dec 9, 2005 5:19 AM in response to Ariel Reonal

This really is not Apple's fault. It was at the insistence of the motion picture industry that region codes were instituted. I'm guessing it actually would be easier for Apple (and other computer companies) to leave the computers region-free. The movie industry won't allow it to happen.

The best thing I can suggest for someone who needs to play DVD's in more than one region is to buy a cheap DVD player that will play in the other region(s). They are not very expensive now. I believe that's what I would do if I were traveling. Even portable DVD players don't cost very much these days. Kind of a hassle, I know.

Dear APPLE, kindly do something for your customers.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.