Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

a MAC keyboard vs PC keyboard

I"m looking at buying a new keyboard but I am worried about the keys being different. It says it's for both mac and pc but it has the window key instead of the option key. A few other differences as well. Will I be able to not have certain functions?

iMac 24' (black), Mac OS X (10.5.7), 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo/ 3 GM 667 Mhz

Posted on Jul 11, 2009 1:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2009 1:25 PM

Sally,

Keep in mind that what's printed on the key is just that.... something printed on the key. Generally speaking, the keys should map properly; the "Windows" key will operate as an Option key. YMMV, however, depending on the keyboard. Personally, I wouldn't want to use a generic (read: Windows) keyboard, but would go for an Apple keyboard designed to work seamlessly with the Mac.

Scott
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2009 1:25 PM in response to Community User

Sally,

Keep in mind that what's printed on the key is just that.... something printed on the key. Generally speaking, the keys should map properly; the "Windows" key will operate as an Option key. YMMV, however, depending on the keyboard. Personally, I wouldn't want to use a generic (read: Windows) keyboard, but would go for an Apple keyboard designed to work seamlessly with the Mac.

Scott

Jul 11, 2009 5:53 PM in response to Donald Palmer

What do you do about an option key? I know it has a different key on the PC keyboards. I'm just worried about my work habits. I am HUGE on key commands while I work. I'm afraid I'll be lost if I don't have the right keys. I'll go check out frys tomorrow!! 🙂

a MAC keyboard vs PC keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.