Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Red Light coming out of headphone jack and low volume output

I just installed Windows XP on my 3.06 GHz MacBook Pro @ 7200 rpm using Boot Camp and after I installed the drivers included on the Mac OS X Install DVD, The max volume I received was only at about a 3 out of 10. Adjusting the volume doesn't do anything as it just stays on the same low volume output.

I also noticed a red light coming out of the headphone jack when there is nothing plugged in

What's weird though is that when I plug in headphones, the volume actually changes when I adjust it, but once it's unplugged it goes straight back to the red light and extremely low volume

Help?

17" 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro, 15" 3.06 GHz MacBook Pro Unibody 500 GB @ 7200 rpm, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Jul 12, 2009 2:10 PM

43 replies

Jul 12, 2009 5:14 PM in response to BlueX

howdy, this happened to me before, once.

fixed it but rapidly plugging a headphones jack in and out a few times, kinda like the problem the original iPhone had with headphone vs earphone modes not triggering properly.

basically, some sensor malfunction whereby it still thinks that input/output X is available whilst it is input/output Y is the case.

if it stays like that, have it fixed or replaced!

good luck

Jul 12, 2009 6:04 PM in response to BlueX

I also tried jamming a toothpick inside to turn it off which didn't work as well

The toothpick is not a good idea. I would advise against doing that anymore. You stand to damage the port in ways that are not covered by your warranty.

The only way to solve this is to plug and unplug a headphone plug into the port a few times. If that doesn't cure it, then the sensor itself is malfunctioning and will have to be replaced under warranty by Apple.

--Travis

Jul 12, 2009 10:09 PM in response to BlueX

You're saying that the light turns off and the speakers work normally in OS X? If so, that's the very first time I've ever heard of this problem being software related, and not hardware. In every prior instance it has been related to the physical switch inside the port being stuck. Unplugging and replugging usually does the trick.

--Travis

Red Light coming out of headphone jack and low volume output

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.