Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

iPhoto '09 CD/DVD won't import

3150 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Nov 18, 2009 10:32 AM by Old Toad RSS
Scott Herman Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Jul 12, 2009 3:59 PM
I made a CD from iPhoto '09 (8.04) and gave it to a friend running the same version. The CD appeared on his iPhoto as it should and all the data was contained on the CD (original images, modified images, faces and places, titles and descriptions, even keywords & star ratings). Great so far!

But we could not get all this data into his iPhoto. In previous versions of iPhoto all you had to do was drag the pictures from the CD to the Library>Photos in the left column to import ALL data. Now all that did was import the modified images sans titles, descriptions, places, original, etcetera. Same with using the "Import to Library" feature under the File menu.

Any ideas?
Mac Pro (early '08), Mac OS X (10.5.7), 3.2 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB HD
  • Level 6 Level 6 (11,035 points)
    Aug 9, 2009 4:51 AM (in response to Scott Herman)
    I have the exact same issue, and hoping someone out there has the answer. Everything looked fine when we viewed the CD thru iphoto. After import, however, the titles were gone, and I could only view the modified file. The Original was not imported. So, if we wanted to "revert to the original" on the new machine, we cannot.
    macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.4)
  • Old Toad Level 10 Level 10 (113,150 points)
    Aug 9, 2009 11:07 AM (in response to Scott Herman)
    I just ran a quick test and can confirm what you're experiencing. It's a bug with the latest version of iPhoto. Be sure to report it to Apple via http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphoto.html as I will.

3Ghz iMac, 4G RAM, 1TB HD; MBP 2.16 Ghz 2G RAM; 1.5TB/160GB HDs;, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Canon:i850/8600F, Epson R280; 4G Nano, 30G Video iPod; Pano DMC-FS15
  • Nathan Jones2 Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)
    Aug 10, 2009 5:16 AM (in response to Old Toad)
    Just to concur that I have just discovered the same problem. I will also provide feedback. 8.0.4 has been the most problematic version of iPhoto I've ever used!
    MacBook (Black), Mac OS X (10.5.7)
  • soespot Calculating status...
    Sep 7, 2009 8:03 PM (in response to Old Toad)
    Is there any software fix available for this problem? I have several photo CD's which won't import their data into iPhoto 9. It will only import the original scanned images, not the edited ones, titles and dates.
    mac mini, Mac OS X (10.5.8), mac mini
  • buttermaker Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Oct 6, 2009 7:35 AM (in response to Scott Herman)
    I'm having the same trouble.
    Went on a vacation with friends.
    They gave me their pics on CD exported from iPhoto 09.
    I can't import with metadata into my iPhoto 09.
    Does it matter they're running Snow Leopard and I'm not yet?

Am I missing something else?
    Mac Pro 2.66GHz 4C Nehalem, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 23" Cinema HD Display
  • H S Rollans Level 1 Level 1 (45 points)
    Nov 2, 2009 11:06 AM (in response to Scott Herman)
    Just discovered this bug. Maddening! I'll have to put off importing this latest DVD of photos until the bug is fixed.
    iMac 2.4 GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 3 GB RAM
  • Roger Ptilopteri Calculating status...
    Nov 2, 2009 1:46 PM (in response to Scott Herman)
    I had same problem. Solved -- worked around -- by using Finder to drag my files from my DVD to a folder on the desktop. Once that had completed (takes a while for several gig of files of course) I was able to Library Import them (takes a while again for several gig of files of course) from there into iPhoto. This left me with two copies of the files on my mac. I will delete the files from the folder on my desktop and use the ones in iPhoto. Dumb work around but worked for me.
    MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.1)
  • H S Rollans Level 1 Level 1 (45 points)
    Nov 18, 2009 8:30 AM (in response to Roger Ptilopteri)
    I have found a workaround that preserves the titles and comments, and also creates a DVD that is friendlier to Windows and to earlier versions of iPhoto. You can also use it with flash drives. It's not quite as elegant as a Share/Burn, but I think it's going to be my default method from now on.

Here are the rather painfully specific instructions I sent to my father-in-law:

1) In iPhoto, select the photos you wish to share.
    2) Go to File/Export...
    3) Select the first tab: File Export...
    4) Select the box: Include: Title and keywords.
    5) Click "Export" (at bottom).
    6) Choose where you would like to save the photos (for example, you could save them into a folder on your desktop, and then copy that folder onto your jump drive or a blank DVD).
    7) Click "OK."
    iMac 2.4 GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 3 GB RAM
  • Old Toad Level 10 Level 10 (113,150 points)
    Nov 18, 2009 10:32 AM (in response to Scott Herman)
    Here's a procedure that should work in getting the photos and their metadata from the library on the disk into the working library. It will require using the paid version of iPhoto Library Manager.

1 - copy the disk library to the Desktop.
    2 - launch iPhoto and open the disc library to make sure it's the right version, working, etc.
    3 - launch iPLM and add both libraries to the list on the left.
    4 - set iPLM's preferences to get the the events and albums as you'd like. There are a lot of options so look at them carefully. Not positive but I think the default settings will get everything you want.
    5 - select File->Merge Libraries... menu option and then select the two libraries.
    6 - select the name and destination for the new, merged library and go from there.

OT
    3Ghz iMac, 4G RAM, 1TB HD; MBP 2.16 Ghz 2G RAM; 1.5TB/160GB HDs;, Mac OS X (10.6.2), Canon:i850/8600F, Epson R280; 4G Nano, 30G Video iPod; Pana DMC-FS15

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.