Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto '09 CD/DVD won't import

I made a CD from iPhoto '09 (8.04) and gave it to a friend running the same version. The CD appeared on his iPhoto as it should and all the data was contained on the CD (original images, modified images, faces and places, titles and descriptions, even keywords & star ratings). Great so far!

But we could not get all this data into his iPhoto. In previous versions of iPhoto all you had to do was drag the pictures from the CD to the Library>Photos in the left column to import ALL data. Now all that did was import the modified images sans titles, descriptions, places, original, etcetera. Same with using the "Import to Library" feature under the File menu.

Any ideas?

Mac Pro (early '08), Mac OS X (10.5.7), 3.2 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB HD

Posted on Jul 12, 2009 3:59 PM

10 replies

Oct 12, 2009 12:26 PM in response to Scott Herman

I was hoping that the latest upgrade to iPhoto '09 (8.1) would fix this issue. IT DID NOT fix the issue

I just tried a test burning an event (29 pictures) from iPhoto on my MacBook Pro. When I inserted the disc into my Mac Pro all of the data was contained on it. This is not a change from 8.4 but is very different then what I got with earlier versions of iPhoto ;09.

Drag and drop the event from the open event window to the Events and it results in loss of all the titles, descriptions and places. NOW it does import the keywords so at least we know they can fix stuff.

iPhoto '09 has been out for over 8 months with this problem continues. It is frustrating that it is not fixed yet.

Nov 2, 2009 1:46 PM in response to Scott Herman

I had same problem. Solved -- worked around -- by using Finder to drag my files from my DVD to a folder on the desktop. Once that had completed (takes a while for several gig of files of course) I was able to Library Import them (takes a while again for several gig of files of course) from there into iPhoto. This left me with two copies of the files on my mac. I will delete the files from the folder on my desktop and use the ones in iPhoto. Dumb work around but worked for me.

Nov 18, 2009 8:30 AM in response to Roger Ptilopteri

I have found a workaround that preserves the titles and comments, and also creates a DVD that is friendlier to Windows and to earlier versions of iPhoto. You can also use it with flash drives. It's not quite as elegant as a Share/Burn, but I think it's going to be my default method from now on.

Here are the rather painfully specific instructions I sent to my father-in-law:

1) In iPhoto, select the photos you wish to share.
2) Go to File/Export...
3) Select the first tab: File Export...
4) Select the box: Include: Title and keywords.
5) Click "Export" (at bottom).
6) Choose where you would like to save the photos (for example, you could save them into a folder on your desktop, and then copy that folder onto your jump drive or a blank DVD).
7) Click "OK."

Nov 18, 2009 10:32 AM in response to Scott Herman

Here's a procedure that should work in getting the photos and their metadata from the library on the disk into the working library. It will require using the paid version of iPhoto Library Manager.

1 - copy the disk library to the Desktop.
2 - launch iPhoto and open the disc library to make sure it's the right version, working, etc.
3 - launch iPLM and add both libraries to the list on the left.
4 - set iPLM's preferences to get the the events and albums as you'd like. There are a lot of options so look at them carefully. Not positive but I think the default settings will get everything you want.
5 - select File->Merge Libraries... menu option and then select the two libraries.
6 - select the name and destination for the new, merged library and go from there.

OT

iPhoto '09 CD/DVD won't import

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.