Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

512 MB DIMMS must have 256 Mbit technology devices

Hello everyone,

My first post is a question as to what exactly is meant by, "512 DIMMS must have 256 Mbit technology devices".(This is a quote from page 77 of Setting up your Power Mac G4)

I have purchased 3 strips of 512 ram for my G4 Digital Audio and I am wondering whether to install them until I understand the meaning of the constraint.

Advice would be appreciated.

G4 Digital audio, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jul 13, 2009 11:37 AM

5 replies

Jul 13, 2009 5:25 PM in response to direwolf8

If your 512MB DIMMs do not have 8 memory chips on each of the two sides, they are not likely to work.

If they are fast enough, and fit easily in the slots, and you try them, they will either be:
• not recognized at all
• recognized at half their advertised size
• recognized at full size and work fine

There are many different memory parameters that are important. You need to:
A) become an expert on all of these different parameters. -OR-
B) purchase memory from someone who IS an expert on memory for this Macintosh.

• Do not buy memory from a department store or an electronics store. Buy only from someone who sells memory for Macintosh. This rewards vendors who have cultivated Mac expertise.

• You should tell the seller what Macintosh you have, and the seller should send you the correct memory for your Macintosh, AND guarantee that it will work in your Macintosh or he will refund your money. (This encourages the seller to send you the right memory the first time.)

• The seller should guarantee that the memory will continue to work for a very long time, or he will exchange it for a new DIMM. (This encourages the seller to send you only high-quality memory.)

Jul 14, 2009 8:09 AM in response to jofima

256 MBit technology refers to the manufacturing process.
Unless you are a semiconductor engineer, there really is no need to explain beyond that.

You can find all kinds of explanations, though.
If you join JEDEC, you may find many helpful documents regarding the standards of the production processes.
Other info is proprietary, and available from the likes of Micron, Hitachi and Samsung.

What you need to know (as a user/purchaser) about the RAM is this:
The RAM expansion slots accept 168-pin SDRAM DIMMs that are 3.3 volt, unbuffered, 8-byte, nonparity, and PC133 compliant.

DIMMs with any of the following features are not supported in the Power Mac G4: registers or buffers, PLLs, ECC, parity, or EDO RAM.

If you are a developer, you need to know this:
The mechanical design of the SDRAM DIMM is defined by the JEDEC MO-161-D specification.

The electrical design of the SDRAM DIMM is defined by the JEDEC standard 21-C specification.>The presence detect serial EEPROM specified in the JEDEC standard is required and must be set to properly define the DIMM configuration. Details about the required values for each byte on presence detect EEPROM can be found in sections 4.5.4 and 4.1.2.5 of the JEDEC standard 21-C specification.

Capacitance of the data lines must be kept to a minimum. Individual DRAM devices should have a pin capacitance of not more than 5 pF on each data pin.

If you are trying to figure out acceptible density of individual SDRAM chips on the DIMM, the following table will help:
RAM Addressing

So, as you can see, following the advice given by others, and buying only quality Guaranteed Mac Compatible RAM from trusted Mac specialty suppliers is the easiest way to guarantee success.

Jul 14, 2009 12:43 PM in response to alajbo

Hi,

Many thanks for your responses.
When I read the statement in the handbook I thought it was telling me that, say the video card to be used with the increased ram, needed to have certain specifications. So I wondered if, for example, my old video card would still function with the greater amount of ram. (It does!!)
I did buy the memory from a reliable source and it was labelled as being specific to my G4 Digital Audio.

Today I took the plunge and everything was OK. Previously I was unable to load the St Annes organ included in the trial ( now free) version of Hauptwerk as I was short of ram. Now it has fully loaded and plays on my Yamaha AR100. All I have to do now is figure out how to make my swell and my thumb pistons operate the St Anne's organ rather than the Yamaha.

Thanks to everyone who contributed.

alajbo

512 MB DIMMS must have 256 Mbit technology devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.