Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone videos & geotagging for places

Do the iPhone videos not get geotagged? When I click on the i on a video shot with the iPhone 3GS the map shows as empty.

2.4 Ghz MacBook (10.5.7), 12" Powerbook G4 (1.33 GHz, 10.4.11), Mac OS X (10.5.7), 32 gig iPhone 3G S, iTunes 8.2, 32 Gig 1st gen Touch, 120 Gig Classic

Posted on Jul 14, 2009 2:33 AM

1 reply

Jul 14, 2009 6:43 AM in response to teacher24_70

I am only speculating here since I don't have an iPhone, but in general you can not automatically geotag videos simply because video files do not have standard EXIF-type tags within which to add information like coordinates.
I suppose Apple could add specifically Apple-only tags to their iPhone generated videos that could also be read by iPhoto, but likely do not because they want to use industry standard formats.
So I think the answer to your question is that video formats do not support tags so no where to store GPS coordinate data.
Regards,
Patrick

iPhone videos & geotagging for places

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.