Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Command Key Not Working

My Command (CMD) keys are not working on my iMac.
It doesn't matter what application I am using and I've tried different keyboards with the same result. I checked my startup items and nothing is there. Login as different user, same problem.

Potential clue: this machine had been used as a demo computer for conferences/expositions and I suspect that the prior owner did something but I can't tell what.

iMac, 2.26Ghz, 1GB RAM

Posted on Jul 14, 2009 3:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2009 4:36 PM

Going through the apple preferences and seeing the keyboard mapping was definitely helpful. Unfortunately,the CMD key is not still not working and the onscreen interactive keyboard does not show when the CMD key was pressed.

Interesting though the Cmd-option-p-r appeared to do zap the pram (I think it - it rebooted twice) so it appears he Cmd key is working at some point just not when the OS boots.

Thanks - I'll keep routing around - this was quite helpful though.
Craig
12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2009 4:36 PM in response to Mac-Expert

Going through the apple preferences and seeing the keyboard mapping was definitely helpful. Unfortunately,the CMD key is not still not working and the onscreen interactive keyboard does not show when the CMD key was pressed.

Interesting though the Cmd-option-p-r appeared to do zap the pram (I think it - it rebooted twice) so it appears he Cmd key is working at some point just not when the OS boots.

Thanks - I'll keep routing around - this was quite helpful though.
Craig

Jul 18, 2009 10:57 PM in response to crog62

Hi,

Try the following methods.

1. Click on Apple and open System Preferences
2. Choose International and under Input menu tab choose to show key board viewer
3. You will now see a US Flag icon on the top menu bar near the date and time
4. Click on that and choose to Show Key board viewer
5. You will get the keyboard layout on the screen
6. Try clicking on the 'Command' key and check whether is it doing what it is supposed to do.

If not try a PRAM reset as mentioned in the first reply and see whether that does the trick.

Good Luck

Jul 19, 2009 5:00 PM in response to crog62

Craig,

You might check the /Users/username/Library/KeyBindings or the /Library/KeyBindings directories. If there is anything inside, delete and reboot your computer. This will undo the mappings.

If you still have to reinstall you need the full installation. You could borrow from your work, school, friend the installation CD/DVD since you do have a valid license.

Jul 20, 2009 9:23 AM in response to crog62

Check whether you have the plist file in the
'Home Folder>Library>Preferences'folder.

1. com.apple.keyboardSetupAssistant.plist

If it is there then try removing it and restarting the Mac.

It appears like the the software is broken. More specifically there is an apple software update for the Keyboard firmware update which needs to be installed. If it is already installed in the computer then probably you will need to try a disk repair from the install disk or an Archive and Install.
Check whether the software is installed here.

1. Click Apple and Open System Preferences
2. Open Software Update
3. Click on Installed updates and check whether you have the firmware updated.

Also note that the firmware update alone may not resolve the issue. You will need to install the latest Mac OS X 10.5.7 for the update to effect. This can also be done as a software update.

Good Luck

Jul 20, 2009 10:41 AM in response to Mac-Expert

1) there was no comp.apple.keyboardSetupAssistant.plist

2) I checked my software update logs and there was not any keyboard firmware updates. When I searched for any firmware updates for keyboards I came across two: 1) aluminum keyboard - which wouldn't install because I don't have one and 2) macbook related firmware updates which also would not be applicable.

Curious problem indeed - also, it doesn't matter which account I log into - they are all affected.

Craig

Jul 20, 2009 11:19 AM in response to crog62

Hi,

Interesting issue here and you are keeping me busy with the research. 🙂

The key seems to be responding at boot up stage and it is not responding when the OS had started up. Also I read in one previous replies you had mentioned that the install disks are unavailable.

1. So try booting to safe boot and see whether the key is responding.

If yes, try removing the startup items and caches and reboot the Mac. If the issue is persists, try booting with the 'Command+S' key pressed down. You will get to Single user mode if the key works well. If yes, you will need the install disk for an Archive and Install.

If you have Apple care try contacting them also. Probably they can arrange a disk for you.

Regards....

Command Key Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.