Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Top Sites: PLEASE permanently disable and remove !

I hate Top Sites. It seems like a way to annoy users and tie up their computers and bandwidth.

I want to rip it out and disable it permanently, with no trace left behind

I have tried clearing and locking TopSites.plist - to no avail.

HELP ME PLEASE!

G4 dual 1.25GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.11), ( London, UK )

Posted on Jul 15, 2009 10:28 AM

11 replies

Jul 15, 2009 10:35 AM in response to William Donelson

Please explain what you mean when you say it ties up your computer and bandwidth. I've had Top Sites for less than a week and it has definitely sped up my browsing to frequently visited sites. If you have few favorites that you visit repetitively, I can appreciate your disinterest. But is it reducing your computing experience by tying up bandwidth?

Jul 15, 2009 11:24 AM in response to William Donelson

Top Site does none of the things you accuse it of in your endless, factually incorrect and technically ignorant rants in many threads in the Safari forum.

Please stop spreading this garbage.

Those who for some reason do not want to continue using the fastest, safest version of Safari (4.0.2) and want to revert back to an older version, rather than find out how to correct their faulty system, can do so by performing an archive and install:

How to Archive & Install:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107120

Jul 15, 2009 11:25 AM in response to William Donelson

You seem to have a more energetic and autonomous Top Sites feature than I do. Mine is only a cache of the page as I last left it. I haven't seen evidence of any surreptitious updating. Sorry but I don't know of any Run-Amok feature to disable, but I'll be watching mine more closely to see if it gets restless. I may just resurrect that on-line radio feature and listen to a little Fordham U. to see what happens.

Jul 15, 2009 12:47 PM in response to Klaus1

Klaus1 wrote:
Those who for some reason do not want to continue using the fastest, safest version of Safari (4.0.2) and want to revert back to an older version, rather than find out how to correct their faulty system, can do so by performing an archive and install:

How to Archive & Install:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107120

WHAT!???

Re-install my Whole Old System, booting from DVD-ROMs ?

You must be kidding!

Just because you like Safari 4.0.2 doesnt mean you have to force it on us.

Jul 22, 2009 5:19 PM in response to RobbieGuar

I believe the easiest way to disable Top Sites permanently

You're mistaken. There is a difference between your version of disabling Top Sites, which essentially removes the icon from the Bookmarks Bar, and actually disabling it. The latter stops the file creation process.

If you don't believe me, go to the Finder: Your User Account>Library>Caches>com.apple.safari>Webpage Previews Folder. Have a look inside.

Jul 30, 2009 6:24 PM in response to Klaus1

In fact, I'm having a similar problem after the upgrade to 4.02. After a grace period of a couple of minutes post-launch, during which Safari is quiet, it begins to rhythmically and continuously write to my hard disk while consuming about 44% CPU. This never stops.

Neither of the command lines suggested to disable this feature works for me:

defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSnapshotsUpdatePolicy -int 2
defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSafari4IncludeTopSites -bool FALSE

I want to remove the feature. Should one of the methods above work? If not, is there another method?

Thanks,

David Wheeler

Top Sites: PLEASE permanently disable and remove !

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.