Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File Conversion?

I have 2200 images in a folder not in iPhoto. Most are .BMP. Many are .JPG and a couple hundred are .PNG. I want to do two things in order to share all of this file across Windows and Apple computers.
I want to change all of the images to .JPG. Then I want to transfer them to another Windows computer. I might put the saved file on my external hard drive and then retrieve them using the Windows computer. It has MacDrive 7 so it can read the files on the external hard drive.

I do not want to do this manually. Two years ago I needed to transfer all of my bookmarks from one browser to another. There were approximately 1100 and it took a week of evenings to do it. There must be a way to do this automatically.

I have heard of the Automator application but I can't find a tutorial on the Apple site to show me how to use it.

There is a third thing I would like to do but it isn't critical. The .BMP files are about 3 MBs each. I would prefer to shrink all those large files to approximately 250 KBs each and keep the image the same size. These images are very unlikely to be printed so they don't need the maximum detail of a 3 MB file.

If anybody knows how to accomplish these tasks with iPhoto or any other software please let me know.

Thank you.

Smallwheels
July 15, 2009

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Jul 15, 2009 1:48 PM

4 replies

Jul 15, 2009 2:30 PM in response to Smallwheels

I want to change all of the images to .JPG.

You can do batch conversions with Graphic Coverter.

Then I want to transfer them to another Windows computer.

You can probably figure this one out yourself, but if you can't, put them in a folder and drag the folder over.

Two years ago I needed to transfer all of my bookmarks from one browser to another. There were approximately 1100 and it took a week of evenings to do it. There must be a way to do this automatically.

There are many apps that will synchronise bookmarks - search on MacUpdate.

here is a third thing I would like to do but it isn't critical. The .BMP files are about 3 MBs each. I would prefer to shrink all those large files to approximately 250 KBs each and keep the image the same size. These images are very unlikely to be printed so they don't need the maximum detail of a 3 MB file.

Again, Graphic Coverter will do this in batches for you.

Regards

TD

Jul 16, 2009 9:44 AM in response to Smallwheels

You can download and run the Automator workflow application that I created titled "Convert to JPG and Embed sRGB profile". It can be downloaded from Toad's Cellar. Since the workflow changes the original file be sure to use it on copies rather than the originals in case the conversion hits a snag.

The workflow does apply jpeg compression to the file during the conversion so you might what to check a few photos to see if the resulting image quality meets your standards. However, any conversion to jpg will involve some compression.

User uploaded file

TIP: For insurance against the iPhoto database corruption that many users have experienced I recommend making a backup copy of the Library6.iPhoto (iPhoto.Library for iPhoto 5 and earlier versions) database file and keep it current. If problems crop up where iPhoto suddenly can't see any photos or thinks there are no photos in the library, replacing the working Library6.iPhoto file with the backup will often get the library back. By keeping it current I mean backup after each import and/or any serious editing or work on books, slideshows, calendars, cards, etc. That insures that if a problem pops up and you do need to replace the database file, you'll retain all those efforts. It doesn't take long to make the backup and it's good insurance.
I've created an Automator workflow application (requires Tiger or later), iPhoto dB File Backup, that will copy the selected Library6.iPhoto file from your iPhoto Library folder to the Pictures folder, replacing any previous version of it. There are versions that are compatible with iPhoto 5, 6, 7 and 8 libraries and Tiger and Leopard. Just put the application in the Dock and click on it whenever you want to backup the dB file. iPhoto does not have to be closed to run the application, just idle. You can download it at Toad's Cellar. Be sure to read the Read Me pdf file.

NOTE: The new rebuild option in iPhoto 09 (v. 8.0.2), Rebuild the iPhoto Library Database from automatic backup" makes this tip obsolete.

Jul 21, 2009 11:51 PM in response to Yer_Man

I'm going to try Graphic Converter when I need to get the job done.

Before posting this question I read many posts about iPhoto loosing images. I had no idea that was a problem. I've only stored about twenty images in iPhoto because I needed to change their size or adjust them in some other way. I'm so glad I didn't put all of my images in iPhoto.

Is there a tutorial for Automator on the Apple.com site? Even though I'll use that other program it would still be good to know about.

Thank you for your help.

Smallwheels

Jul 21, 2009 11:58 PM in response to Smallwheels

I read many posts about iPhoto loosing images. I had no idea that was a problem.

iPhoto doesn't lose images, it's not a problem.

If you read through those threads - and yes, many do start with "iPhoto Ate All My Photos!" type posts - you will see that in almost all - 99.99% - of cases the images are perfectly safe and al that's gone wrong is a damaged db file. This is easy to fix, especially if you have a back up, and you do have a back up right? Even if you don't, you can usually fix it with a third party app. In a few cases you need to start over from scratch.

But there are simply no cases on the Board where iPhoto can be shown to have lost someone's photographs.

Regards

TD

File Conversion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.