Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Confused about airport extreme

I just bought an iMac G5 for my sister, and it says on the box that its ready for apple extreme wireless networking. It has the airport utility in applications, but when I go to system preferences, I can't add airport as a network entity. Do I have to buy an internal network card, or a base station, or both? Yes, I do have a wireless router, and yes I'm sure its broadcasting. Please help me. I'm supposed to give this to my sister this weekend.
Thanks,

iMAC G5 17"

Posted on Jul 15, 2009 7:09 PM

9 replies

Jul 15, 2009 7:25 PM in response to John_Brock

Ok we need to get specific! What version iMac is it

What processor speed?

What screen size?

It looks as if you may have the version that came with the antenna and the slot for the card but it was only an option to get the card.

Go to your apple menu/about this Mac/more info go to networking section and select airport card. This should tell you if a card is installed or not.

Aug 2, 2009 4:10 PM in response to iyacyas

I have some similar questions. I have an iMac G5 - followed the earlier advise and discovered I do not have an Airport Extreme card installed. I do have a wireless router that works great with my husband's PC and my new MacBook Pro.
#1. If I purchase an Airport Extreme Card, will I need the "base station" or will my existing router work?
#2. We want to purchase a wireless printer. Do I need this card for my G5 to work with a wireless printer?
Thanks!

Aug 2, 2009 4:56 PM in response to John_Brock

John,

Before you run out and purchase an airport card for your iMac G5, consider that unless it was a special order if will already have one. Click the Apple symbol in the upper left corner of the screen and select "About this Mac". Then in the About This Mac window, click on the More Info... button.

In the contents list on the left side of the More Info window, click on Network and Airport Card.

If the system reports a Card Type, you don't need to purchase another one.

Jerry

Aug 4, 2009 10:14 AM in response to N L Russell

N L Russell, Welcome to the discussion area!

#1. If I purchase an Airport Extreme Card, will I need the "base station" or will my existing router work?

The AirPort Extreme card will allow you to connect to any 802.11b/g network. You do not need an Apple base station.

#2. We want to purchase a wireless printer. Do I need this card for my G5 to work with a wireless printer?

If the printer is connected to your network, your G5 should be able to print to it regardless of how the G5 is connected to the network (via Ethernet or wireless).

Confused about airport extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.