9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2009 10:53 AM by N L Russell
John_Brock Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
I just bought an iMac G5 for my sister, and it says on the box that its ready for apple extreme wireless networking. It has the airport utility in applications, but when I go to system preferences, I can't add airport as a network entity. Do I have to buy an internal network card, or a base station, or both? Yes, I do have a wireless router, and yes I'm sure its broadcasting. Please help me. I'm supposed to give this to my sister this weekend.
Thanks,

iMAC G5 17"
  • Ferd II Level 7 Level 7 (23,985 points)
    John,

Since you have a router, all you need to get is an Apple M8881LL/A AirPort Extreme Card. Be sure to search for the best deal.

AirPort Extreme Card: Compatible Macintosh computers

;~)

• iyacyas Level 4 Level 4 (1,535 points)
    Ok we need to get specific! What version iMac is it

What processor speed?

What screen size?

It looks as if you may have the version that came with the antenna and the slot for the card but it was only an option to get the card.

Go to your apple menu/about this Mac/more info go to networking section and select airport card. This should tell you if a card is installed or not.
  • John_Brock Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Thanks for the help. Do you guys think its worth buying this card, or would you just use a USB wireless adapter?
  • Ferd II Level 7 Level 7 (23,985 points)
    John,

I could not provide any advice on a "USB wireless adapter," but I am "extremely" satisfied with the card that I purchased for my G4 iMac.

;~)

• iyacyas Level 4 Level 4 (1,535 points)
    The USB wireless adapter may be your best bet since you are pressed for time. If it does not work well you could always spring for the Apple Card later.
  • N L Russell Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I have some similar questions. I have an iMac G5 - followed the earlier advise and discovered I do not have an Airport Extreme card installed. I do have a wireless router that works great with my husband's PC and my new MacBook Pro.
    #1. If I purchase an Airport Extreme Card, will I need the "base station" or will my existing router work?
    #2. We want to purchase a wireless printer. Do I need this card for my G5 to work with a wireless printer?
    Thanks!
  • Jerrold Green1 Level 7 Level 7 (29,855 points)
    John,

Before you run out and purchase an airport card for your iMac G5, consider that unless it was a special order if will already have one. Click the Apple symbol in the upper left corner of the screen and select "About this Mac". Then in the About This Mac window, click on the More Info... button.

In the contents list on the left side of the More Info window, click on Network and Airport Card.

If the system reports a Card Type, you don't need to purchase another one.

Jerry
  • Duane Level 10 Level 10 (117,955 points)
    N L Russell, Welcome to the discussion area!

#1. If I purchase an Airport Extreme Card, will I need the "base station" or will my existing router work?

The AirPort Extreme card will allow you to connect to any 802.11b/g network. You do not need an Apple base station.

#2. We want to purchase a wireless printer. Do I need this card for my G5 to work with a wireless printer?

If the printer is connected to your network, your G5 should be able to print to it regardless of how the G5 is connected to the network (via Ethernet or wireless).
  • N L Russell Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Duane -
    Thanks for your help with these questions. I appreciate you sharing your expertise.
    Nancy