Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How does Apple determine which ISP they support?

When making the switch to Apple my old ISP did not work with my iMac OS X, Leopard and I chose well-regarded Copper.net, wholly US-based. Macmail doesn't work with outgoing mail (dial-up, Verizon refuses broadband in this area....) although I can receive.

Am forced to use Thunderbird but it will not allow mailing iPhoto's images unless I drag them to the desktop and then drag them into T-bird, a clumsy solution.

Copper.net assures me it's compatible 100% with Apple although they have not been able to make my system work. Anybody else out there with the same problem? I dropped Earthlink which allowed about 20 spam mails per day while I have never had one with Copper.net.

Thanks for any help.

iMac v.X, Leopard, Mac OS X (10.5), Panasonic Lumix, video DVR-D300 (mini-RAM), Gateway/XP2

Posted on Jul 15, 2009 10:45 PM

6 replies

Jul 15, 2009 11:19 PM in response to birdy176

Apple supports the protocols for just about every combination of server I've come across. Some are easier to set up than others because they happen to use default security settings and ports that are well established. Apple is working on improving support for Microsoft's proprietary Exchange server according to the blurbs we get with the latest updates.

The fact that Copper.net says they are 100% compatible with Apple Mail tells me that you should probably check your Mail program for issues.

After taking a quick look at Copper.net's email server support page for Apple Mail I don't see any reason why those settings won't work with Apple Mail. They are old-school standard settings.
http://www.copper.net/kb/64-Email-Setup-Instructions---Mac-Mail/
The instructions are a little dated for Tiger, but still resembles an account setup in Leopard.

Of course, I can't actually set up an account with them, but I have no doubt it's a pretty straight-forward process. I've never had Thunderbird work, and Mail not work at the same ISP. Sometimes it's a little tricky for ports and SSL stuff, but it can be figured out. In this case it doesn't look like there's anything out of the ordinary with their server settings.

If Copper.net is so well regarded by somebody, then there must be other users here that have either had success or failure with their email system.

Jul 16, 2009 2:42 AM in response to birdy176

birdy176 wrote:
When making the switch to Apple my old ISP did not work with my iMac OS X, Leopard

I have to say that sounds so strange. Using wireless, I move my Mac laptop from home DSL to a friend's cable modem and I get Internet, I go to coffee shops and libraries and I get Internet, I go to a different city and I get Internet, I go to different countries and I get Internet on my Mac. I don't even know the names of most of the ISPs I connect through simply by using public wireless networks all over the city, country, and world, and yet I rarely need to reconfigure the machine. Macs just use regular standard Ethernet and wireless Internet. Apple Mail just uses regular mail protocols. My Apple Mail checks my ISP mail and multiple Gmail accounts over IMAP.

In many cases a "problem with Macs" isn't because of some incompatibility with Macs, it's that you're dealing with someone who either is using something other than network standards, isn't aware how standard Macs are, or doesn't have a proper understanding of the standards in the first place.

Jul 17, 2009 1:33 PM in response to birdy176

Thanks to all four of you who cared to help me out. I must have stated my problem correctly since you all had contributed valuable information. After checking my settings repeatedly I found they're perfect and I now have the confidence to call Copper.net again, especially since they already have screen prints of every step I took to find a solution.

I have David Pogue's "The Missing Manual" whose coverage is mind boggling but cannot cover every little newbie question. I'll have to find the proper forum to get help with color synching which is akin to visiting the optometrist.

How does Apple determine which ISP they support?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.