Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Streaming radio battery intensive?

I was wondering if streaming radio through an app such as pocket tunes or pandora is considered to be very hard on the battery? I'm figuring that to stream over 3G or Wifi it needs to constantly access the network. And 3rd party applications by themselves tend to use s good amount of battery life. Is this a correct assumption? I'm trying to figure out how long my iPhone should last while doing this sort of activity.

Windows

Posted on Jul 16, 2009 3:59 PM

9 replies

Jul 16, 2009 4:36 PM in response to HowardH

HowardH wrote:
I was wondering if streaming radio through an app such as pocket tunes or pandora is considered to be very hard on the battery?

Likely, particularly with 3G. But I was able to use Pandora and such with my 2G (EDGE only) phone without resorting to wi-fi. So likely you could turn off 3G if you want to stream radio for long periods.

Phil

Jul 16, 2009 5:35 PM in response to HowardH

I use AOL radio app and listen over 3G during my lunch hour , I only notice a little bit off battery drain as opposed to watching a preloaded video or game . It's not that intensive , at least not the AOL radio app I don't know about Pandora . I had XM radio on another cell phone before and it would drain the battery considerably . So it may be the app . Try a couple and see wich one works for you . Hope this helps .

Is Streaming radio battery intensive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.