Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading to Leopard problems.

I just upgrade to Leopard yesterday on my 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo. Prior to doing that I created an external Startup disk using Super Duper before I upgraded. I was using the latest Tiger when I created the external startup disk. Once I finished the upgrade, I noticed that I can't upgrade to Leopard on my external drive. I get a statement saying "You cannot install on this volume. To enable installation on this volume open disk utility from the utilities menu and repartition this disk as 'GUID Partition Table'. Note you will lose all data on this disk by repartioning it."

I noticed also that the external disk shows up on the desk top, but does not show up as a viable startup disk any more. The external drive is a 232 GB Firewire Lacie drive.

Is it possible to use SuperDuper to clone my internal hard drive to my external drive without re-partioning and have it be a viable start up disk?

I also have a problem with Epson Printer monitor. Since I upgraded to Leopard, I get a window for Epson Printer Monitor every time I restart or start up the computer. It seems like it is looking to print to my Epson CX7400 all in one- scanner and copier. I don't always have that item plugged in and was wondering if that would cause a problem. I cannot quit Epson Printer Monitor- I always have to force quit. I would like to know how I can turn off the automatic startup of Epson Print Monitor. I've checked in the Account area and in the startup items folder and didn't see anything pertaining to Epson.

Thanks for your help.

2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Jul 19, 2009 9:35 AM

3 replies

Jul 19, 2009 10:35 AM in response to Richard Skover1

Hello Richard:

Is it possible to use SuperDuper to clone my internal hard drive to my external drive without re-partioning and have it be a viable start up disk?

Yes, but I probably would let SD make a completely new clone. I have a SD clone on my external HD that is partitioned "Apple Partition Map" and the volumes (I have two, one for SD and one for Time Machine) are Mac OS extended (journaled). I boot from the external drive using SD without problems.

Leopard will not boot from a drive that is not GUID partition table (hence the message). However, you can also restore from a TM volume on the external HD as one boots from the software install DVD to do this.

By the by, if you decide to use both SD and TM, partition the external HD. If everything is on one volume, TM assumes it has the whole thing and ignores other data.

Hopefully all this has not been confusing.

Barry

Jul 19, 2009 4:18 PM in response to Richard Skover1

Hello Richard:

I think we have missed ourselves on our communication.

There is no need to reformat anything, if I understand where you are.

Your internal HD should be formatted as GUID. The external drive can be formatted either GUID or Apple Partition map. There is absolutely no need to install OS X 10.5 on your external drive if you have a SuperDuper! clone.

Barry

Barry

Upgrading to Leopard problems.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.