Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dock-connector vs. Bluetooth

I Hope its right that I post it here. I've got a little idea to make the iPhone better. Hope the programmers are reading here.

Hello,

i've got a new car-radio which has Bluetooth and it supports iPhone.
I use the Radio to play the Musik which is on the iPhone, with the radio I can scroll through the Playlists. For this I connect the cable with iPhone and with the radio. The music starts to play when the Radio switched on.

But I also use the radio to phone hands-free over bouetooth. And there is the problem:

Situation: The iPhone is connected to the Radio latey and the Music is already playing. The Bluetooth needs a few seconds to connect. Then the Bluetooth-connection has been started and the iPhone thinks: "Wow Bluetooth - I stream the music over Bluetooth now." Great, but it don't know that the Radio is still configurated to the USB-Port. So the musik fall silent, and I need to take the iPhone and reconfigurate the iPod as it put the music out the dock-connector.

I hope you understand the problem, my Englisch is very terrible, i think.

Well...
I think in this case it would be usefull, if the iPhone would ask me what to do. A little PopUp, you know, witch ask me something like: "What is to be done with the iPod-Audio-Stream?" And there are two optios: "Dock" and "Bluetooth"
Maybe there has to be a countdown of 10 or 15 seconds: If you don't take one of the two options, the existing configuration keeps existing.

Thanks for reading.
Bye
Ingo

Message was edited by: Ingo Twardy

PC, Windows XP Pro

Posted on Jul 20, 2009 9:29 AM

10 replies

Aug 30, 2009 7:01 PM in response to stefanpausch

I have the same problem: although I place my phone in a dock connector in my car, when my car is switched on, bluetooth takes over all sound output from the dock. So, EVERY time I want to listen to music, I have to change from my bluetooth device to 'Dock Connector' in the listing of output devices, then resume normal operation. Bluetooth then handles phone calls, and music is played through my dock connector. However, if I am not listening to music but want to have my GPS to play voices through the dock, I have to start music first, switch audio output, then turn off music. A real pain.

Sep 21, 2009 7:57 AM in response to Ingo Twardy

This thread perfectly sums up the problem. My issue is similar to those stated here.

I am very displeased by the lack of ability to control audio output preference on the iPhone. As an earlier poster stated, the iPhone switches to the BlueTooth audio source once a pairing is complete. This happens even if the iPhone is currently playing through the dock connector. In order to fix this one must either undock and redock the device or open the iPod application on the iPhone and switch the output back to the dock connector.

These workarounds should not be necessary. The dock connector should always be the preference as it offers a higher audio quality than the still buggy Bluetooth. (I say buggy as Bluetooth audio frequently cuts out, has low audio quality, and does not support ADCTP).

In short, this experience can be incredibly irritating if the iPhone is left docked and accessory power is cycled in an environment such as a car. Upon power-up, the iPod function continues where it left off (nice) and plays until the Bluetooth connection reaquires (horrible). At that point the music stops as the iPhone immediately switches over to Bluetooth. This, of course, happens when you are already driving which is a time that you should not be performing either workaround. It is distracting and could be dangerous for drivers.

A recommendation for a fix on this is to allow a prioritization of audio outputs to be configured, e.g., always output to dock when connected. Or an easir fix would be to allow a user to toggle Bluetooth audio (music only) support so that a Bluetooth device does not attempt to use it. This shouldn't be that hard since this was the standard on earlier firmware versions.

Oct 15, 2009 3:54 AM in response to TheBrownDandy

I don't think this counts as a necro as its only a few weeks old...

Has there been any update on this?

I'm having the same problem, though I am not using the dock (rather, line-in). As TheBrownDandy mentions above, switching from bluetooth the line-in (or dock) whilst driving is dangerous and to be honest should not even need to be done.

Message was edited by: MoofBITE - Added a few details.

Dock-connector vs. Bluetooth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.