Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thinking about upgrading from iPhone 3G to iPhone 3GS

So I'm thinking about getting the new iPhone 3GS but I don't want to spend $200 for a few new features. Does anyone know if Apple offers any special deals or anything if I like trade in my old iPhone? I have had my iPhone for about a year, would the price be any lower if I extended my contract? Also, is the upgrade worth it? I've looked at some of the new features and they are pretty nice. Any help would be appreciated.

iPhone 3G, iPhone OS 3.0

Posted on Jul 21, 2009 9:23 AM

12 replies

Jul 21, 2009 9:31 AM in response to mucc424

$200 is the subsidized price if you sign a new 2year contract (if you qualify). Unsubsidized the new 3GS would run you $599 or $699, depending on size.

There is no trade in program for the iPhone. Best you can go is buy the new one and sell your old one on Ebay.

As far as the upgrade goes, it depends on what you need. If you want voice control, Nike + integration, video recording or a compass and those features are worth $200 to you, upgrade. If not, then don't.

Message was edited by: Ansuz82

Jul 21, 2009 9:48 AM in response to mucc424

i never got an iphone for 200 bucks all these years since the first day it came out 2 years ago. i bought the 2G for $500 no contract summer 2007 (good old days), the 3G for $550 with 3 year contract from rogers and since i was not eligible for a hardware upgrade this year i had to buy the 3G S for 700 bucks. Of course i have no data plan so my monthly payment is 30 bucks a month.

Jul 21, 2009 9:55 AM in response to mucc424

For me, the voice control was very important. Works very well for me. I was also interested in the video and double the storage space, so I upgraded for the subsidized price (using my husband's upgrade option).

I pretty much paid no out of pocket expenses because I sold my husband's original 16gb iPhone (he took my 3g when I upgraded) for $310 on eBay. My auction was up for maybe 3-4 hours before it sold. So chances are good you will be able to sell yours as well. Most people who aren't AT&T subscribers are willing to shell out more money for the opportunity to unlock the phone and use it with another GSM carrier. It's worth a shot.

I don't regret upgrading because I got the extra features I wanted including the copy and paste which is wonderful.

iPhoNettie

Jul 21, 2009 10:01 AM in response to mucc424

I sold my 16gig 3G on Craigslist in an hour for $350. It was the cheapest one listed. People want to buy them used because they come without a contract. I bought a 16gig 3GS for $399 less than a year after buying the first one.

I would definitely say the upgrade is worth it. The speed difference is very noticeable. Shooting video on the run is great, and the camera is much more clear and focuses faster.

Jul 21, 2009 12:42 PM in response to macho_man

macho_man wrote:
you guys complain of AT&T. what would you have done if you were with Rogers. minimum 3 years contract, 1gb data, 250min talk and text for 70 bucks a month +299 for the phone and that's if you never had an iPhone or a contract.

That really *****! No Unlimited data? and very few mintues and 3 years.
i wouldnt get an iphone in that case...maybe an unlocked one and skip the 3year contract.

Jul 22, 2009 2:29 PM in response to mucc424

just sell your 3G if its in great condition youll get a good price i sold mine for 350.00 then went and upgraded to 3GS paid about 250.00 with tax so got brand new phone and extra 100 bucks. if you think about it your 3G still has a high retail price. youll get a new phone with better features way faster loading content and apps then ur 3G right now, only thing is the contract for 2 years but if your not looking to go anywhere then your good its worth it!! then next year when they get a new iphone (if there is) then sell your 3GS and get the new one will be worth more than 3G. ive been doing that ever since the old 2G and u never loose other than the contract. 🙂

Thinking about upgrading from iPhone 3G to iPhone 3GS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.