Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not charging while tethering

Hi all,

I am using internet tethering to access the Internet rgiht now and my iPhone does NOT charge while I am using it. If I switch off tethering, It does.

Anybody has the same issue?

Thanks all,

imac 24'', Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Jul 22, 2009 12:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2009 12:51 PM

I'm guessing that tethering takes more power than the USB is capable of providing so the phone can't charge while tethered.
10 replies

Jul 22, 2009 2:14 PM in response to promeu

i wasn't suggesting the computer was broken, merely the power delivered to the socket was not adequate. as i understand it, there is limited power available over the USB system, so if you are drawing too much, then some sockets may be stepped down to 100mA. this is certainly true for the older machines, unsure about the Alu iMacs. what other USB stuff do you have connected? it may be that the power drain required by the tethering is causing a power step-down to the socket the iPhone is on. (however, i would expect the dialog to show)

Not charging while tethering

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.