Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime and .mpg files ?

Hello

I find quicktime to be less than helpful with most common visual media file formats. I have a huge VHS collection which I am digitising into my mac pro quite easily using Roxio VHS to DVD. However the resultant files are .mpg (MPEG) files, which quicktime Pro refuses to open (error message: The file is not a movie file). Surely QT Pro can handle MPEG files ? This seems ridiculous 🙂

I don't want to import into imovie, which involves even more encoding since all I need to do edit wise is to trim the front and back of the video files. Surely with all the technology available, QT Pro can do this ?

Thanks

Marco 13

Intel Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Jul 22, 2009 12:54 PM

8 replies

Jul 22, 2009 1:05 PM in response to Mark Anderson3

Were the files encoded as MPEG-1 or MPEG-2? If the videos were encoded as MPEG-2, QuickTime cannot play them without the optional (and extra-cost) MPEG-2 Playback Component. You can see a list of all the formats and codecs QuickTime supports here:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/player/specs.html

Note that QuickTime Pro can play multiplexed MPEG files but cannot edit them (you do not need Pro if all you care about is playing the videos). If you're using Roxio's Easy VHS to DVD, it has the option to output in other formats, so you might instead want to choose MPEG-4. That's a more modern codec and will probably yield better quality while not requiring any additional QuickTime components to play. If you just want to play the videos you've already encoded and don't actually need them in QuickTime for some reason, try the freeware VLC Media Player.

Regards.

Message was edited by: Dave Sawyer

Jul 22, 2009 2:10 PM in response to varjak paw

Hi dave

Actually, my copy of Roxio's easy VHS-DVD does not have an option to change from MPEG-2. It's either standard (half MPEG ?) or high quality (MPEG) and that's it. there don't appear to be any preferences or anything like that that I can see.

So, if I'm stuck with MPEG-2 I guess I'll have to go for this MPEG-2 playback component. Is this on the Apple website somewhere ?

Thanks

Marco13

Jul 22, 2009 2:17 PM in response to Mark Anderson3

That's because you're missing something.
I am not saying any plug-in, I am talking about the QuickTime itself.

As you can see the info on QuickTime's page,

Innovative Technologies

Each and every new version of QuickTime has included breakthrough technologies that have pushed the digital media industry forward. QuickTime 1 pioneered the digital media industry by playing back digital video smoothly on a personal computer for the first time via the video compression format “Road Pizza.” QuickTime 6 led the way for ISO-compliant MPEG-4, 3GPP and 3GPP2. And now QuickTime 7 with H.264 video once again leads the industry.

That means, when you want your VHS to be digitized, you don't use MPEG1 or 2, it's the backward, not forward. MPEG 2 is an old technology. QuickTime is not for it, QuickTime is for better tech.
As you can see, if you want to go backward, there are tons of encode software you can easily have and make lots of MPEG2 files or DVDs, but it's ridiculous to go into the past of tech. It's almost 2010 now, you should start taking QuickTime's advantage and use H.264 embedded in QuickTime 7.

MPEG2? It *****! It's just like windows 95.
In Macintosh, we use H.264 with QuickTime.

Jul 23, 2009 10:44 AM in response to varjak paw

HI dave

thanks for that info I did not know that.

However, I noticed that the resulting MPG4 file is about 1/4 the size of the original MPG2 file. I assume that this means that it is fairly heavily compressed. Does this affect the viewing quality (I am converting these things to DVD to play on domestic television and being in the UK, this will also be PAL) ?

BTW I looked for the Quicktime MPEG2 component in the apple shop and it is nowhere to be seen apart from the US website wher it is $19.99. Has apple stopped selling this now outside the states ?

best

Marco13

Jul 23, 2009 10:52 AM in response to Mauricette

Hi there

I'm sure 'we' in macintosh can use H.264 (whatever that is) but I have no idea how to use the software and hardware I have to convert my VHS via USB into H.264 and then burn this so I can watch a good quality picture on my domestic (UK) TV 🙂

I also want to top and tail the recordings in some cases and I need therefore to be able to put my .mpg files into something that will allow me to edit in this way.

I don't use media apps much, being a musician, I am far more concerned with audio apps like Logic so my knowledge of the plethora of formats and conversion possibilities in this field is very limited to the few occasions where I have to do this sort of thing.

It all just seems too complicated using apple's included software (iMovie and iDVD) and the tedious rendering and converting that has to go on every time makes a 40 minute episode into a two hour marathon:-)

atb

marco13

Jul 23, 2009 12:03 PM in response to Mark Anderson3

I noticed that the resulting MPG4 file is about 1/4 the size of the original MPG2 file. I assume that this means that it is fairly heavily compressed. Does this affect the viewing quality (I am converting these things to DVD to play on domestic television and being in the UK, this will also be PAL) ?

It depends on the settings the software is using for the MP4 conversion. MPEG-4 is a more efficient codec than MPEG-2, so it's possible that the quality won't be reduced much in the conversion at the default settings, but I don't know since I don't know the settings the software uses. You'll probably want to take that up with Roxio or in their forums.

Converting from one compressed format to another is something you generally want to avoid, though, so capturing from the VHS deck to a non-compressed or lightly-compressed format (such as DV Stream) would be best for highest quality. But the Roxio software may have very limited options; often software like this trades options for simplicity. MPEG-2 is a distribution codec, not an editing codec, though, so if you want to edit the files once you capture them, you're going to have to convert the MPEG-2 to another format, again such as DV Stream, for editing.

I looked for the Quicktime MPEG2 component in the apple shop and it is nowhere to be seen apart from the US website wher it is $19.99. Has apple stopped selling this now outside the states ?

http://store.apple.com/uksmb67752/product/D2187Z/A?mco=NDc0MjQ3Mw

Regards.

Message was edited by: Dave Sawyer

Quicktime and .mpg files ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.