Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Put downloaded files in Login items?

Hi All, I have set up an automator script to download a keynote presentation for one of our Mac Minis in school. However I want to put downloaded file in login items as the Mac Mini is set to shut down every evening and restart the following morning.
I can manually drag it to login items but that kinda defeats the whole purpose of automation 🙂
Anybody have any ideas???

iMac 24", Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Jul 22, 2009 2:48 PM

6 replies

Jul 27, 2009 4:15 PM in response to Gerard Allen

Hope this clarifies.

not completely. do you want to keep keynote123 in the login items after getting keynote456? such an arrangement would not make sense to me and I'm guessing you want to remove keynote123 from login items once keynote456 arrives. in this case it seems to me the easiest would be to rename keynote 456 to keynote123 after downloading replacing the original. that can be easily done inside a script. this way you only need to put keynote123 in the login items once and that can be done manually without any scripts.

Jul 27, 2009 5:28 PM in response to Gerard Allen

Yes, I have no need for 123 once 456 is downloaded. However the files all have date stamps on them and that is they way that they are created and distributed. e.g. Keynote123's full name is Keynote20090723,, the next keynote is keynote20090730, etc. They use this to avoid errors. Is there a way that I could tell it to take the folder contents and run that?
If so, I could set the script to clear the folder, download the new keynote and at startup anything within the stats playing!?!

Thanks for your help on this VK!

Jul 27, 2009 5:59 PM in response to Gerard Allen

Zvordauk wrote:
Yes, I have no need for 123 once 456 is downloaded. However the files all have date stamps on them and that is they way that they are created and distributed. e.g. Keynote123's full name is Keynote20090723,, the next keynote is keynote20090730, etc. They use this to avoid errors. Is there a way that I could tell it to take the folder contents and run that?

I don't understand what you mean but what you describe fits exactly with what I suggested. I don't know the details of your automator workflow thus far but lets say the last action in that workflow outputs the downloaded keynote file what its name. let's say that for the moment it's keynote20090723.key (that's the usual extension, isn't it). make the next action in your workflow the following "run shell script" action with the option to pass input as argument.

<pre style="
font-family: Monaco, 'Courier New', Courier, monospace;
font-size: 10px;
margin: 0px;
padding: 5px;
border: 1px solid #000000;
width: 720px;
color: #000000;
background-color: #ADD8E6;
overflow: auto;"
title="this text can be pasted into the Script Editor">
for f in "$@"
do
cp "$f" ~/dailykeynote.key
done</pre>

Now if you run the workflow it will download the keynote presentation and then copy it to the file dailykeynote.key at the top level of your home directory (you can change that location of course). now just add the file dailykeynote.key to the login items. if you want you can put the workflow (saved as an application) in the login items too. It's not quite clear if you wanted to run it at the logn time or not.
If so, I could set the script to clear the folder, download the new keynote and at startup anything within the stats playing!?!

Thanks for your help on this VK!

Message was edited by: V.K.

Put downloaded files in Login items?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.