Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Octo report on FCS3

I need to justify shelling out $300 for the new FCS, my main concern is whether it will finally support all 8 of my processing cores. My system had a giant frowney face experience when rendering in FCP6 decided to spike only 1 out of 16 virtual cores. (in stark contrast to LUDICROUS SPEED with Qmaster and Shake)

So, all you Octo guys out there who are snagging the new suite without question, I would be very happy if you would open up the Activity Monitor when rendering, or installing the handy little tool that is iStat menus, and showing us all whether FCP is really USING the mindnumbing overkill amount of processing power inside our Octos.

Mac Pro Octo2.26GHz Nahalem, 6GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4870, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Jul 23, 2009 11:51 AM

17 replies

Jul 23, 2009 12:18 PM in response to David S.

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at, are you meaning to differentiate exporting from rendering? I can understand them as separate processes but they usually go hand in hand.

This thread is about rendering on a Final Cut sequence and such when you've applied an advanced filter/transition or something like optical flow retiming. Seeing the same for Motion would be nice as well.

I don't really need an update on the use of Qmaster/Compressor when exporting out of FCP, I already know it plays nice with multiple cores. (I've brought my system to its knees before with Compressor and Shake, whereas rendering in FCP on an Octo takes less than a 16th of available processing power)

Jul 23, 2009 1:11 PM in response to David S.

Yes, the specifications of FCS3 seem a little vague in regards to background rendering. I know in FCP 6 when I "Sequence | Render all" this uses one processor only -- I have 4 available and it would be nice to see FCP 7 using more than just one core.

Also, while in FCP 7, if I export using compressor will QMaster work now when setup to use more than a single core? Job segmenting ONLY worked in Compressor 3.0 stand alone, not with FCP.

Rob.

Jul 23, 2009 1:56 PM in response to Rob A.

I believe it all has to do with the way FCP 6 exports to compressor, even if already rendered. It looks like it's handing a frame (or a small bunch of them) at a time off to compressor from FCP with lots of process switching.

If FCP 7 (speculation alert) can lock up the render (and original files where necessary) files to prevent modification after rendering, then "exporting through compressor" could be pretty much the same as exporting to a file (self contained or not), then sending that exporting file to compressor. As it sits now in FCP6, if you export then compress, you still must take care not to delete, etc. the files so references, otherwise compressor will fail.

For me in FCP6: I alway export then compress; with my G5 Quad, I get about real time HDV (or Prores 422) to mpeg2 with frame controls off, and about 8 times real time with frame controls on (to significantly improve quality) with all 4 cores fully occupied for most of the compression.

Eddie O

Jul 23, 2009 3:39 PM in response to Edward A. Oates

They way I believe this should be handle is with an option(s) when exporting to Compressor. Seeing as Apple/Mac's are supposed to be user friendly provide either a prompt or a Preference setting something like:

1. Enable background processing
a. Allocate CPUs (1,2,3,4, etc. - or external cluster server(s)) to do processing
b. Work off duplicate (no locking) OR work of source (project/file locking)

2. Disabled background processing
a. Allocate as many CPU's as possible, segment job, lock project/files until done

I think this approach would be the most flexible and prevent any "issues".

Jul 23, 2009 4:04 PM in response to Rob A.

when rendering in FCP, I can tell you for sure that I have all 8 cores working at 50-70% most of the time. sounds like you guys have found some effect / plug that only wants to render on a single core. even OS stuff like file I/O can keep the other CPU's doing something. not sure under what specific circumstances you are seeing a single core being used, but for me they all work almost all the time.

Jul 23, 2009 4:21 PM in response to Steve Oakley

Steve,

Can you expand on how you verified all your cores are actually working on rendering?

I've noticed my 4 cores look like they are working on FCP, but after doing some additional diagnostics/tracing they aren't actually working on the FCP thread -- which leads me to believe their is either a problem with CPU activity monitoring or something else?

I even took it one step further and forced two of my cores to be dedicated to processing some other unrelated task (not in FCP not sharing) and then rendered again under FCP and timed the output -- in all cases the render time was pretty close to identical regardless of CPU activity (I was expecting render to be slower when I had two other cores occupied with another unrelated tasks).

This left me scratching my head. I'm not running a 8 core MacPro, I have an older 2 dual core CPUs (2 x 2 for 4 core total) that I got in late 2007.

I know when Snow comes out I might do a complete wipe and re-install of everything in a hope I get my 4 CPUs working correctly with FCP. I've never been successful at getting more than just 2 cores to work with FCP. And these days it's down to just one core.

I don't know if this is just an OS X issue with my hardware or what -- I do know that under Vista (Bootcamp) these 4 cores will crank away very efficiently. So I'm stumped.

Rob

Jul 23, 2009 5:50 PM in response to Rob A.

Rob, I use a Qmaster quick cluster with 16 instances to really crank out the pain on my Mac Pro. If you're running a 2008-era 4 core, make a quick cluster with 4 instances and watch your CPU usage go sky high. When you go to render, select the cluster instead of "This Computer".

But anyway, on topic, I really didn't want this to get about Qmaster/Compressor at all, I was just giving an example of a program that supports multiple cores right now. I want to know whether rendering (just rendering, not compressing, exporting etc) in FCP is ready to truly use multiple cores.

My theory? It doesn't. If it did, they'd be shouting off the roof tops right now, rather this was a very quiet release with far less new features than the previous release (they even used keyboard shortcut and window arrangement customization as a new feature, even though we've had that for a while). What I see Apple doing is somewhat of a release like they did in version 4.5. Apple released FCP 4, and a few months later the HD revolution happened so they released "Final Cut Pro HD" which was version 4.5. This time I think 7 is almost somewhat of a Beta, and when they release Snow Leopard they'll be in a position to toot their horn about the newfound astronomical speeds by updating to 7.whatever.

Jul 23, 2009 9:06 PM in response to Eisen Feuer

Eisen,

2007 era 4 core in my MacPro -- maybe that's why I seem to have issues??

I was a little surprised to see FCP 7 considering Snow is only a couple of months away and Snow has full 64bit application support. I thought they would release FCP 7 around the same month (Sept/Oct) as a real 64bit application show casing Snow. Guess I was wrong.

I guess 64bit will be saved for a feature in FCP 8 ??

Think you and I (or just me) is mixing up Render under FCP vs. Render under Compressor -- OR, I missed the option to QuickCluster renders while in FCP?? The only cluster support I'm aware of is under Compressor not FCP. Am I confused?

Rob

Jul 23, 2009 9:32 PM in response to Eisen Feuer

Eisen,

Yes, aware of that, but on my MacPro that "feature" doesn't work. I have to export to Quicktime, close FCP, open Compressor, create a job using exported file, and then select cluster. Also, I can ONLY select 2 cores for a cluster, it will never use 4 cores or even 3 cores -- just doesn't work on my MacPro.

If someone has gotten this to work on 2007 era MacPro with two dual core CPUs please let me know.

Rob

The Octo report on FCS3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.