Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

m-audio axiom & garageband

I just picked up the axiom 25 to use with garageband and i'm not sure where to start with this thing. I'm new to midi and i'm not sure i even understand everything about it judging by reading the manual. A lot of it just made no sense to me.
Anyway, so far I can use the axiom for its most basic of functions and play software instruments with it (though i'm having low volume issues with the axiom).
I've looked at the enigma software it came with and not sure what to really do with that either. Do i have that enigma open with garageband simultaneously? Not really sure how garageband and enigma work together or not.
What I am really looking to do with the axiom at this point is this:
Use it to play software instruments (which I can do)
assign different effects to the knobs (maybe delay, attack, decay, etc)
use the drum pads - I want to build some different kits that I can easily recall, use the pads to trigger different drum loops and fills, and trigger sound samples and sound effects.

I know that this thing can probably do a lot more, but I guess I am just not ready for that yet. Basically, I just want to do what I stated above for now. Maybe I should have started with a simpler model, but I really want to use the drum pads.

Is there other software to download besides the enigma software or is that considered the driver?

Thanks for your help and if you have experience with the axiom, I'd be curious on how you integrate it with garageband. I was looking for tutorials or documentation on using the axiom with garageband, but there is very little out there.

IMac 20 Intel 2.66, Mac OS X (10.5.3)

Posted on Jul 24, 2009 7:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2009 12:59 PM

Hi. Firstly, GarageBand is designed to NOT allow you to use any control surfaces (read knobs and faders) other than the iControl. There is a little 3rd party application called GarageRemote (google it) which will allow you to control the transport buttons from the Axiom. If this is of interest, there are full installation instructions on the M-Audio website. You will find it in one of the sticky's in the forum in the keyboard controller section... look for GarageBand. I have never used it so cannot comment about its use. So unfortunately you cannot use the axioms knobs and faders.....

The pads will work fine, I believe the factory default setting for pads 1-8 are C3, D3, etc meaning they correspond with the equivalent of middle C and that octave of keys. For making beats you will have to experiment with the position of the key range using the transpose button on the axiom.

Enigma is a editing program that allows you to set up and control templates or presets for your axiom and various DAW's. Unfortunately, this is of no use as GarageBand cannot utilize any preset functions.

You do not need any other software to use the Axiom with GB. Just plug and play!!

Cheers. G.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2009 12:59 PM in response to magellan42

Hi. Firstly, GarageBand is designed to NOT allow you to use any control surfaces (read knobs and faders) other than the iControl. There is a little 3rd party application called GarageRemote (google it) which will allow you to control the transport buttons from the Axiom. If this is of interest, there are full installation instructions on the M-Audio website. You will find it in one of the sticky's in the forum in the keyboard controller section... look for GarageBand. I have never used it so cannot comment about its use. So unfortunately you cannot use the axioms knobs and faders.....

The pads will work fine, I believe the factory default setting for pads 1-8 are C3, D3, etc meaning they correspond with the equivalent of middle C and that octave of keys. For making beats you will have to experiment with the position of the key range using the transpose button on the axiom.

Enigma is a editing program that allows you to set up and control templates or presets for your axiom and various DAW's. Unfortunately, this is of no use as GarageBand cannot utilize any preset functions.

You do not need any other software to use the Axiom with GB. Just plug and play!!

Cheers. G.

Jul 24, 2009 1:45 PM in response to gjmnz

ok...thanks for clearing that up for me. I guess the axiom is very limited in its use with garageband. I also just got an icontrol so I guess I can add effects and control the transport buttons with that.
So it looks like, the axiom can be used for playing software instruments and drum pads. Would I be able to use the drum pads for what I mentioned earlier...triggering loops and sound effects in addition to drum sounds?
On a side note, have you been happy with the icontrol? Thanks...you have been a big help!

Jul 24, 2009 2:07 PM in response to magellan42

magellan42 wrote:
Would I be able to use the drum pads for what I mentioned earlier...triggering loops and sound effects....

No. The pads can't become assignable controls for sounds outside of the current selected track. View the pads as just differently shaped keys just doing the same thing inside the selected track.
On a side note, have you been happy with the icontrol?

I Love my iControl. Made a huge difference in the way I use GB. I was having arm, shoulder and neck issues and need to find a way to reduce the amount of mousing and associated repetitive movements. The iControl took away some mousing and reduced certain 'reaching' actions which has helped me a lot. I am in the process of building myself a new studio desk which has my iControl front and center, in between my Axiom 49 and myself, instead of on my lap. The bonus about the iControl is that it also works in Logic Express and Pro, at least versions 8. I have to check to see if it works in 9 yet.

Cheers. G.

Jul 24, 2009 2:48 PM in response to gjmnz

In order to not create confusion between Hangtimes reply and mine, which seem to be at odds with each other, I am approaching your question from the MIDI Surface Controller position. I am highlighting GB's inability to allow assignable mapping of functions using MIDI controllers like the Axiom. There are of course features in GB which Hangtime has highlighted, and 3rd party apps that allow you to achieve certain desired functions. You will have to adjust work flow and possibly view them as work arounds, but that should not be a problem if you reach your goals.

Cheers. G.

Message was edited by: gjmnz

m-audio axiom & garageband

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.