Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NAS setup questions

I'm trying to setup a NAS for my home network. I have a macbook pro with OS X 10.5.7 along with 2 laptops and a desktop using Windows XP and a third laptop using Windows Vista. I was looking at D-Link's DNS 323 NAS with two 1TB WD Caviar Black drives in it and setting it up as RAID 1. I also plan on paying for mozy to provide an online backup. I read a review of the DNS 323 where the customer stated iDVD files would not save due to the filename length and characters were not compatible. I'm not necessarily interested in iDVD files, but just that some files wouldn't save on the NAS due to the length and incomptabile characters. Does anyone have any experience with the DNS 323 or the WD hard drives? Does anyone have any other recommendations that would be more compatible to use with both Windows and OS X systems?

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Jul 25, 2009 3:34 PM

1 reply

Jul 26, 2009 6:16 AM in response to aegeiger

Depends how far you want to go. To give you an idea, I looked at HP MediaServer NAS which has Mac (including iTunes and TimeMachine), WHS. It is a small Atom-based server in a box, more than just a bunch of disks and network interface.

HP EX485 MediaSmart Home Server
http://www.amazon.com/HP-EX485-MediaSmart-Home-Server/dp/B001OI2ZG4/

Costs more but WHS is worth every penny, more storage expansion, and I trust HP more than D-Link which has had its problems with its NAS units.

Nothing wrong with the WD Black Caviar, I use a couple of each in 3 systems. But they can run warm, and maybe too warm for that case. Might want the Green Caviar instead.

Take a look at the feedback on the Amazon product page.
http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-2-Bay-Network-Storage-Enclosure/dp/B000GK8LVE/

If you have used Windows Home Server, or need a good reliable backup and recovery for Windows, something to manage your files, restore a system if needed.

NAS setup questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.