Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine - Removing Old Backups

I am using "time machine" to back up my new iMac, the disk being used also was used to back up my old iMac and I do not require those backups any more. I have deleted those files but when I want to "empty trash" I still have the related folders etc. as it is not allowing me to remove bootx and bootefi files - need to use the option key - but this is not working...

can anyone assist in how i can clean out my trash (and 1st step confirm which is the option key on the new wireless keyboard)?

thanks Neil

iMAC, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Jul 27, 2009 3:50 PM

4 replies

Jul 27, 2009 4:09 PM in response to njinnes

You should be sure your TM backup drive has been partitioned GUID and reformatted before initiating any new TM backup for your new computer. I would do the following:

Extended Hard Drive Preparation

1. Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.

2. After DU loads select your hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.

3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID (for Intel Macs) or APM (for PPC Macs) then click on the OK button. Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed.

+BTW, this is the Tiger forum. TM is not available in Tiger, so please post Leopard related questions in the appropriate Leopard forum. Thanks.+

Time Machine - Removing Old Backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.