Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Container for QT movies

Hi all,

Is it possible to create a container that can hold movies and play them in sequence and looped?
We have a number of Mac Minis running presentations at our school. 80% of the content never changes but 20% changes weekly. I'd like (if possible!) to create a folder with folders numbered 1-10 in it. In each of these folders put a movie. Then get Quicktime player to interrogate these folders in a loop and play the contents. That way I could just replace the contents of (say) folder 4,6 and 9 whenever there is new info and leave the rest alone.

Sounds great in my head but is it actually possible???
Any advice appreciated!

Posted on Jul 27, 2009 5:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2009 9:40 AM

QuickTime, to the best of my knowledge, cannot play back a sequence of videos or folders. But if you search MacUpdate for something like "video player" or perhaps "video playlist", you may find another application that can. You could also probably write an AppleScript and/or Automator workflow to handle this; this latter is more probably what you'd need to do if you need to have the videos in separate folders.

Alternatively, you could import your videos into iTunes and set up a playlist for the videos, and loop that playlist. Though you'd have to add the new videos to iTunes each week, it would make it easier perhaps to get the playlist in the order you want since you wouldn't have to rename them or figure out how to get a player to read sequential folder to get the videos in order as you would with a player that just played videos or folders of videos in order.

Hope this helps.
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2009 9:40 AM in response to Gerard Allen

QuickTime, to the best of my knowledge, cannot play back a sequence of videos or folders. But if you search MacUpdate for something like "video player" or perhaps "video playlist", you may find another application that can. You could also probably write an AppleScript and/or Automator workflow to handle this; this latter is more probably what you'd need to do if you need to have the videos in separate folders.

Alternatively, you could import your videos into iTunes and set up a playlist for the videos, and loop that playlist. Though you'd have to add the new videos to iTunes each week, it would make it easier perhaps to get the playlist in the order you want since you wouldn't have to rename them or figure out how to get a player to read sequential folder to get the videos in order as you would with a player that just played videos or folders of videos in order.

Hope this helps.

Jul 28, 2009 10:24 AM in response to Gerard Allen

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your post. I had set up an automator script but it closes each movie before opening the next. Apart from that it was perfect! Unfortunately that gap in between is where I am getting stumped 😟

I took your advice and on searching came across Cellulo. I'm going to test this to see how scriptable it is. Fingers crossed!!!

Jul 28, 2009 10:28 AM in response to Gerard Allen

Hi,

Have you tried creating a reference movie containing all movies one after another, with the "loop" setting activated?
To minimize waiting time between movies, the best is to load the movies in RAM (given you have enough RAM).
The problem is that this option is rarely exposed. It is available in programming APIs, but I don't know any application that lets you load a movie in RAM.

Jul 28, 2009 10:52 PM in response to Gerard Allen

Hi Zvordauk!

You could easily accomplish your goal in LiveStage Professional... but since you are writing here with this question I will assume you don't have this program (LiveStage's parent company, TotallyHip, went down the tubes a few years ago).

Which leaves us with an HTML solution (you could use the browser to launch the QuickTime Player instead of playing on a web page). You begin with the default movie and then a list of movies plays as defined by the code structure.

The following is the code frame work:
QTNEXTn="<Filename> T<Target>" or GOTOn

QTNEXT is the command.
n is an index number for your movie.
Filename is the name/pathway for your movie. If you put all your movies into one folder it would make the naming scheme easier.
Target should be "myself" which replaces the current running movie with the next one on the list (as opposed to opening in a new window or the QT Player).

An example here: http://www.wdd3.info/Xper/Multi-Loader.html

Below shows the style of the code I used in an HTML Snippet in iWeb for the above example:
======
<embed src="First.mov" height="496" width="640"
QTNEXT1="<Second.mov> T<myself>"
QTNEXT2="<Third.mov> T<myself>"
QTNEXT3=GOTO0 >

Note the last line of code... instead of a movie file reference there is a GOTO command, in this case "0" (zero) - which plays the opening default movie (index of 0) again and creates an infinite loop - or it could be any movie (number) in the index - or have a third movie play instead, etc. 255 files is the limit that can be sequenced.

Of course you would want to wrap the above code in an object tag so Windows users could view it.

Container for QT movies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.