Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck in rescan with no way out

My wireless network worked fine using an airport extreme base station until I updated the airport utility software. Now I have no network and the flashing yellow light on the base station. I get a message that that airport utility was unable to find a wireless devise. The only option is a re-scan button. There is no option other than to "re-scan". I cannot go back or continue. My airport extreme base station is plugged in, I have uninstalled and re installed airport utility. I have reset the airport extreme base station. Re started the mac numerous times. Still. when I open the airport utility application (even after re installing the application) I get the same message and the re-scan button. What can I do to fix this?

iMac 20 core Duo, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Jul 28, 2009 7:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2009 8:15 PM

Did you try a hard reset as follows:

Pull the power on the Extreme and let it rest for 5-10 minutes
Hold in the reset button and keep holding it in while your plug the power back in
Release the reset button after approximately 10 seconds

Temporarily, connect an ethernet cable from one of the LAN ports on the Extreme directly to your computer.
Open AirPort Utility to see if it will locate your Extreme so you can reconfigure it.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2009 8:15 PM in response to etc04

Did you try a hard reset as follows:

Pull the power on the Extreme and let it rest for 5-10 minutes
Hold in the reset button and keep holding it in while your plug the power back in
Release the reset button after approximately 10 seconds

Temporarily, connect an ethernet cable from one of the LAN ports on the Extreme directly to your computer.
Open AirPort Utility to see if it will locate your Extreme so you can reconfigure it.

Oct 7, 2009 5:53 PM in response to AntonB

A hard reset or factory default reset will not affect the backups on the HDD of the Time Capsule.

If you are using Time Machine for backups, you may need to set it up again once the Time Capsule has been reconfigured.

Backups will only be erased if you perform a separate command sequence using AirPort Utility. If you need information on how to do this, please post back.

Stuck in rescan with no way out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.