Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Hardware Test does not support this machine

I have been having problems with a Powerbook G4 17" and decided to run the Apple Hardware Test to try and track it down. Not being able to locate the original CD, I downloaded the AHT from http://www.info.apple.com/support/aht.html for the Powerbook.

After booting up on the CD I get the message "Apple Hardware Test does not support this machine."

Does anyone have an idea why the image provided from Apple's web site specifically for the Powerbook does not work on a Powerbook?

Thanks -

Brian

2x3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel MacPro, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Jul 29, 2009 3:31 PM

4 replies

Jul 30, 2009 3:49 AM in response to Brian Knapp2

That downloadable AHT image only supports older Powerbooks. In the description where you downloaded it from, it lists which Powerbooks it runs on. With a newer Powerbook, you need the original OS X disk to run the AHT. Or, if you have either of the TechTools programs, they do the same testing. If you have a newer Powerbook and don't have the original OS X disks that came with it, you can call Apple support, and if they still have them in stock they can sell you a set.

Jul 30, 2009 10:01 AM in response to Brian Knapp2

Hi, Brian. There were 23 different Powerbook G4 models in all. The ones for which that downloadable version of AHT is suitable were the first eight, of which the very first was officially named "Powerbook G4" — pretty imaginative, eh? That's what was referred to on the download page you visited, not the whole series of Powerbook G4 models. The AHT versions required by all later PB G4s are not available for download at all, as far as I know.

Yes, certainly Apple's model-naming practices could use some improvement and clarification. But they've been quite confusing at least since 1993, so that state of affairs has become something of a time-honored corporate tradition despite serving no discernible purpose or interest, and I don't expect it to change.

Apple Hardware Test does not support this machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.