Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone SDK for Windows

I know that there is no iPhone SDK available for Windows but if a moderator sees this post, PLEASE check out this website: http://www.wisdk.c.la. Although the actual Windows SDK was fake, they got almost 500K emails in 5 days about people wanting to be part of the beta testing program! If Apple would stop being so closed minded, they could be making EASILY double the profit that they are now if they allow PC users to develop applications. I just want to get this out there because it is completely unfair that people who either can't afford a Mac or just don't want one can't have the opportunity to develop applications. Please get the word out. Thanks.

iPod Touch 2G (OS 3.0), Windows Vista

Posted on Jul 29, 2009 6:21 PM

8 replies

Jul 29, 2009 6:53 PM in response to iPT2gGeec

Microsoft's SDK doesn't work on a Mac and the iPhone SDK does not work in Windows because neither is compatible with the other.

The OS on the iPhone is a version of the OS on a Mac and the SDK reflects that. It will never be ported to Windows because the Windows OS is incompatible with the SDK.

Part of development is investing in the appropriate hardware for the system you want to develop for.

Jul 29, 2009 7:20 PM in response to iPT2gGeec

I understand that the iPhone OS is a version of the Mac OS, however, wouldn't it be possible to develop an SDK that runs in a virtual OS X? Again, this would have to be on an Intel based machine but why couldn't they do that? Just make the REQUIRED parts of OS X run virtually? I'm not a coder or anything like that so I don't no what this would entail.

Jul 29, 2009 7:41 PM in response to iPT2gGeec

What for, along with spending any resources supporting the SDK to run virtually or otherwise on a Windows PC? Apple is a computer company along with being a software company, but Apple makes the majority or all their profits on the sale of hardware, not software.

Apple providing and supporting the SDK with their current OS X version and with an Intel Mac only has not hindered app development for the iPhone/iPod Touch in the least. Any developer that is serious about developing apps for the iPhone and iPod Touch won't have a problem purchasing an Intel Mac, which can run Windows and all Windows applications natively. A Mac Mini can be purchased for $600, but you need your own monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

Jul 29, 2009 8:11 PM in response to iPT2gGeec

If a developer that is serious about developing an app for the iPhone/iPod Touch, which sells an app for say $.99 cents can't sell the app at least 900 times for both the iPhone and iPod Touch (Apple keeps 30% for DRM, storage, credit card fees, and distribution), the app would not be very good. And anyone who buys a Mac Mini also has access to a better operating system along with the included apps, a much more secure operating system, and can install and run Windows and Windows applications natively, and the same for Linux.

I venture to say that Apple porting the SDK for Windows isn't going to happen anytime soon if ever.

Aug 22, 2009 2:44 PM in response to iPT2gGeec

I don't see how anyone is suffering because there is no Windows SDK. There are 60,000 apps in the iTunes store, so as an owner I have an incredible number of choices. Apple isn't losing business either, because there are 60,000 apps in the iTunes store (I know that's a repeat, but I want to make the point clearly). Apple doesn't have to invest the considerable amount of time and expense necessary to create a new SDK (there are no virtual versions of OS X or virtual hosts that support it) in order to both support its customers and run a successful business. It would make more sense for Microsoft to add an iPhone SDK to Visual Studio for Windows (they'd sell more copies of Visual Studio).

If you are serious about developing an app the cost of the computer that supports the SDK is pocket change. If it isn't for you then you shouldn't be developing an app.

iPhone SDK for Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.