Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime App for I-Phone ?

Is there a Quicktime app for the Iphone? Someone sent me an email with a quicktime video in it and I could not get it to play. Tapping the quicktime icon in the e-mail did nothing. I figured maybe I needed a Quicktime app, but cant find one.Any help would be appreciated.

HP m9040n, Windows Vista

Posted on Jul 30, 2009 8:52 AM

4 replies

Jul 30, 2009 9:05 AM in response to Spiderwolf

The iPhone includes a QuickTime player or plugin, but the video must be in the proper format that is supported with the iPhone.

Copied from this link.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

Video formats supported: H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; H.264 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline Profile up to Level 3.0 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats.

Jul 30, 2009 2:50 PM in response to Spiderwolf

You're welcome.

In order for a video to be viewed on an iPhone, it must be in an iPhone compatible format - per the information I provided with my previous post.

You can import a video captured by a digital camera or rip a video from a DVD. More than likely the imported video can be played with QuickTime on your computer, but this doesn't mean the video is in an iPhone compatible format to be viewed on an iPhone. iTunes includes an option to convert a video that is not in an iPod or iPhone compatible format, and iMovie includes the same for an iMovie export.

The QT plugin available on the iPhone is not the same as the full plugin available on a Mac. The same for Safari on the iPhone compared to Safari on a Mac, which doesn't include a flash player or plugin, and the same for the iPhone's Mail client, which does not include the same features as the Mail.app on a Mac. The iPhone runs an optimized version of OS X, not a full OS X version.

Message was edited by: Allan Sampson

Jul 30, 2009 2:36 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Im confused than. I thought Quicktime was Quicktime weather it is on the computer or on the I Phone. That same video plays on my computer, so if the I-Phone has quick time built in, it should play. I will never understand how one format like that can play in one place and not the other when both places have a quicktime player. A quicktime video should play anyplace that has a Quicktime player, weather its on my desktop at home or on my I-Phone!

Aug 25, 2009 10:08 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Allan,
You posted "iTunes includes an option to convert a video that is not in an iPod or iPhone compatible format,..." I'm having difficulty with an attached QT video, also, and can't find the iTunes "option" you referred to. Can you expand your answer, please? (If I have to download the video to my Mac I have similar frustrations....)
Thank you.

Quicktime App for I-Phone ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.