Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mysteriously losing storage

I've got an old Imac G5 which is mysteriously losing storage everyday. Everytime I turn it on there seems to be at least 1Gb less than the previous time it was on. I've lost over 80Gb in the last few weeks. I'm not creating any files (it would seem). I'm not downloading anything or creating anything.

I've used the disk utility to check the drive - no problems.

I've (against my better judgement) just installed Norton virus checker... NO VIRUS'S.

So, can anyone help? Any suggestions? I'm down to 100Mb even though I should have almost 100Gb free!

Rob

iMac G5, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Jul 30, 2009 2:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2009 2:40 PM

Hi Rob;

Installing Norton Virus Checker was probably the worst thing you could have done.

I suggest that you go to the Symantec website or with the Symantec CD get a copy of the only good code Symantec has even written uninstall it. It will only cause you more problems not less.

It sounds like you have a log file that is running away. You might want to open Console and look at the log files and see if any of them appear to be in a loop.

Allan
User uploaded file
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2009 2:40 PM in response to robtaylor80

Hi Rob;

Installing Norton Virus Checker was probably the worst thing you could have done.

I suggest that you go to the Symantec website or with the Symantec CD get a copy of the only good code Symantec has even written uninstall it. It will only cause you more problems not less.

It sounds like you have a log file that is running away. You might want to open Console and look at the log files and see if any of them appear to be in a loop.

Allan
User uploaded file

Jul 30, 2009 3:59 PM in response to robtaylor80

It sounds like you do a shutdown every night, then start up in the morning. If that's always true, then your maintenance scripts may not be running in the early hours.

One of the them (the monthly, I think) rotates your log files, and deletes the oldest.

Since you're familiar with Console, a quick way to check is to look at the +daily.out, weekly.out,+ and monthly.out log files (in the Console sidebar).

The easiest way to run them is to just sleep your Mac overnight once every week or two. They'll run automatically, shortly after you wake your Mac.

Actually, many of us follow Apple's recommendation not to do a full shutdown unless the Mac will be off for a few days; we use the Sleep function instead.

Jul 30, 2009 4:35 PM in response to robtaylor80

Open Terminal
cut and paste (or type) and run the command below and the files, largest to smallest,
will be displayed for you.

to display size in kilobytes:
sudo cd /;du -I net -d 24 -ck -x * | sort -n -r;echo done

to display size in gigabytes:
sudo cd /;du -I net -d 24 -cg -x * | sort -n -r;echo done

to display size in megabytes:
sudo cd /;du -I net -d 24 -cm -x * | sort -n -r;echo done

Kj

Mysteriously losing storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.