Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wireshark wont run

I've done everything that I have read to do to properly install wireshark on tiger. I have X11 installed and properly updated. When I double click the wireshark icon from the applications folder, the wireshark icon appears in the dock, then X11 appears, then wireshark disappears and X11 sits idle.

Help?

macbookpro, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Aug 2, 2009 12:08 PM

10 replies

Aug 3, 2009 7:54 PM in response to n1konic

Try "open /Applications/Wireshark.app" (or whatever full path to the application). You can type "open" followed by a space bar then drag the Wireshark application icon into the terminal window in order to complete the command. Then, of course, depress the \[return] key. You are running v0.1 then? And did you type this in an X11 window or in a Terminal.app window?

Aug 4, 2009 8:39 AM in response to Austin Kinsella1

Hey A.K.:

yeah, on my v1.2.1 double-clicking on the WireShark icon launches an instance of X11 then launches Wireshark inside that, similar to your experience of launching from Terminal command line.

If you update to 1.2.1, I don't know how 0.99.6 behaves, but starting with about v1.0.6, there was some "manual" modifications that you have to make with some path declarations so the program works right. And they have to be set up for each user of the application. I found out about it reading someone else's post about problems with Wireshark and some other smart guy on these forums had gotten the O.P. straightened out. That's as good as I can do for giving credit where credit is due.

You have to:
Go into Wireshark - Edit - Preferences
Select Name Resolution
Click 'Edit' 'SMI (MIB and PIB) paths'
Add new path: /usr/share/snmp/mibs
Find line in /Library/StartupItems/ChmodBPF/ChmodBPF that reads 'chgrp admin /dev/bpf*' is changed to 'chgrp staff /dev/bpf*'

This last item is if you do what the readme says when installing it, and put ChmodBPF in the startup items folder and you want regular non-privileged user accounts to be able to run it.

Now, to try to get back on track with the original post, I would just have to say that I would check whether the version the O.P. has, is in fact the v0.1 that is purportedly Tiger capable. If the O.P.'s version is a download from wireshark.org, it appears to me that the versions currently posted there only support Leopard.

wireshark wont run

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.